ZIP file is an archive file that is similar to the other compression file formats like RAR, JPEG, TAR, GZIP, 7z, etc. You might create a ZIP file to save the storage space or to reduce the actual size of the files by compressing them for easy transfer. There are various instances in which you can accidentally lose or delete ZIP files without even taking a backup of them.Note: When you are looking to recover ZIP files from your computer or external drive, you need to make sure that all your important files compressed within the ZIP file are successfully recoverable. The success of ZIP file recovery depends on the methods you choose to recover deleted ZIP files and the scenario in which you incurred data loss. Therefore, stop using your drive in which you lost your ZIP files to avoid overwriting.
In this article, you can find out the proven ways to recover ZIP files under various data loss scenarios.
How to Recover deleted or lost ZIP files on Windows/ Mac?
1. Recover deleted ZIP files from Recycle Bin
Whenever you delete any file from your Windows or Mac system, it is moved to the Recycle or Trash Bin. So, by making use of the following steps you can easily recover deleted ZIP files.
- Open Recycle /Trash Bin on your computer
- Locate the deleted ZIP files or folders you want to recover
- Right-click on the selected ZIP files and choose the Restore option(Choose Put back on Mac)
- You can find the deleted .zip files in the same location where they were originally stored.
Why can’t I find my deleted ZIP files in the Recycle Bin?
- Permanently deleted ZIP files using Shift + Delete on windows, On Mac Option + Command + Delete.
- Emptied Recycle Bin or Trash Bin
- Lost ZIP files after formatting.
- Missing ZIP files due to malware or virus infection.
- Interruptions while moving ZIP files.
If you have lost or deleted ZIP files in any of the above data loss scenarios, you can scroll down to the below reliable method of recovering your ZIP files using the data recovery software.
2: Restore a backup of your files.
If you have a habit of taking backup of your important files. Now is the right time to use those files. In this method we will be talking about how to restore backup files.
follow the steps to:
Step 1: Go to Settings
Step 2: Click on Update & Security option
Step 3: Click on Backup option
Step 4: Click on Go to Backup and Restore (windows 7) option
Step 5: Select the backup you want to restore.
In case you don’t have a backup, they you can use the next method which is guaranteed to recover all your deleted files.
3: Recover deleted ZIP files using Remo Recover
Deleting or losing a ZIP folder means losing the complete files compressed in it. Make use of Remo Recover, user-friendly software to safely get back ZIP files under various data loss scenarios. This tool is compatible with all the versions of Windows and Mac operating systems including Windows 10 and macOS Big Sur. Download this tool to easily recover files such as ZIP, RAR, TAR, PDF files, NEF files, and many more.
- Step 1: Launch Remo Recover software to start the recovery process.
- Step 2: Scan the drive or location from which you deleted the ZIP folder from
- Note - If you are unable to find the drive or partition, click on the Can't find the drive option to scan the recognized drives from which you lost the ZIP files.
- Step 3: Choose the drive on which you have lost or deleted ZIP files and click the Scan button.
- Step 4: You will be able to view the recovered ZIP files while the scan is still in the process through the Dynamic Recovery View option.
- Step 5: You will be able to Preview the deleted ZIP files or folders
- Step 6: Save the recovery session if satisfied with the result.
Why Choose Remo Recover to Restore ZIP files?
- Remo Recover works with a user-friendly interface that requires only a few clicks to recover deleted RAR files or ZIP files under multiple data loss scenarios.
- This data recovery tool works with a read-only mode interface to safely recover deleted ZIP files and the data compressed within it without any alteration.
- Apart from ZIP file recovery, you can also utilize this tool to recover deleted excel files, PowerPoint files, text files, photos, videos, audio files, and many more.
- Using this software, you can easily recover files from corrupt CF card, USB, memory card, external hard drive, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to Extract the Recovered ZIP files on PC?
Once you have recovered your deleted ZIP files using the above methods, here is what you should do to extract them on your computer
- Right-click the recovered ZIP folder and select the Extract All option.
- Select a location on which you want to save the extracted files and click the Extract option.
2. How To Recover Deleted ZIP Files on Mac for Free?
Time Machine is an in-built feature in your mac system. Once you set time machine and choose back up Automatic option, Time Machine regularly takes backup of all files.
Follow the steps to know how to restore you back up data.
- Connect your external storage device where you have stored your backup files to your Mac system.
- Launch Time Machine by Clicking on System Preferences option
- Find and Click on Time Machine icon.
- check show time machine in the menu bar option, Time Machine icon will appear on your menu bar of your screen.
- Click on Enter Time Machine
Note: in case you know in which folder was the file previously stored. Click on that folder, then Click on Enter Time Machine.
- Find the files that you want to recover, then Click on Restore button.
this method only works if you have a backup, in case you don’t have a backup of the ZIP files. The only option you are left with is using a Powerful Data Recovery Software.
3. Can I recover ZIP files on mac using Remo Recover?
Yes, you can recover ZIP files on Mac. Remo Recover for Mac is a renowned data recovery tool designed to recover on various version of Mac operating systems like Big Sur, Catalina, High Sierra, Mojave.
Losing ZIP files can be disheartening since it consists of all your important files. Therefore, taking a regular backup saves you from all the data loss scenarios. However, if you have permanently deleted ZIP files without taking a backup, then you can easily restore them using this guide.