Sometimes the files you have hidden can go missing, despite unhiding them. The reason could be accidental deletion of folders, file corruption, virus infection, or any other reason. Regardless of the reasons, you can recover deleted hidden files from your computer.
How to See Hidden Files in Windows 10/8/7
In case if you find any files or folders missing from Recycle Bin or any other location from the computer, there can be chances that the files might be hidden from the users. The below-mentioned methods will help you show the hidden files from your computer depending on the Windows version.
- Open File Explorer and click on the View tab
- From the ribbon locate Options and Click on View from the window
- Check the Show hidden files, folders and drives
- Now, go to the folder from which you had lost the file. Here you will be able to recover the hidden deleted file
- Point your mouse to the upper-right end of the screen, place the mouse pointer down and then click on Search
- In the search box type folder, then from the search results, select Folder Options
- Click on the View tab
- Choose “Show hidden files, folders and drives” in Advanced Settings, and click on OK to recover lost folders on Windows 8
- Choose the Start button, then click on Control Panel, select Appearance and Personalization
- Choose Folder Options, and then click on the View tab
- Choose Show hidden files, folders and drives in Advanced Settings, and click on OK
After unhiding the files, you will be able to locate the hidden folder from your computer and. If in case you haven’t found the files, try searching for them in cloud backup such as One Drive, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. However, this only works if you have enabled automatic cloud backup for the specified storage location.
Did you know?
The chances of files getting hidden on your computer is high post updating your Windows. User folder is the one the that mostly goes missing, know more about recovering lost user folder here.
Recover Deleted Hidden files from Previous Versions
If you have taken a regular backup of the file, one easy method to recover the deleted hidden files is by recovering the file from a previous version. Follow the steps to recover the files.
- Click the start button and click on This PC or Computer.
- Go to the folder that had the file and right-click, then click on Restore Previous Versions.
- A list of accessible previous versions of the folder or file will be displayed.
- Select the files you want to retrieve and click on Restore. It will be restored in its original location.
Remember, you can recover permanently deleted hidden files from the previous version, only if you have enabled Windows backup or File History option on your computer. If not, the only last option to recover permanently deleted hidden files is by using a professional data recovery software.
When all your attempts to locate and recover the hidden file fails, you always count on a trusted recovery software such as Remo File Recovery Tool. Even if the file is permanently missing from the computer, the robust deep scan engine of the tool glides through the drive sector by sector to recover the deleted hidden files. The software is compatible with all the versions of Windows operating system. Download and try the software now.
Additional Information: Apart from recovering the hidden files, you can also make use of the Remo file recovery tool to recover permanently deleted files from your Windows computer.
Steps to Recover Deleted Hidden files on Windows
Firstly, download and install the Remo File Recovery tool. Follow the mentioned steps carefully.
- Launch the software and click on the Recover Files tab from the main screen
- Now, select the drive from which the deleted hidden file has to be recovered and click on Scan
- After the scanning process is completed, the recovered files will be sorted and displayed in Data View and File Type View.
- Search both the tabs to find your deleted hidden files
- Finally, select the files and click on the Save button to save the recovered hidden files
Note: You can even utilize this tool to recover deleted files from My document folder on your computer.
In order to avoid losing the hidden files from your computer, it is better to keep the files hidden. Unhide the files only when it is needed. However, you should keep in mind that it is not a good idea to hide any file that is confidential because these hidden files can be accessed easily or go unnoticeable when the drive is formatted. In case you have any confidential information, you can password protect them or store them in a separate drive. The troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article will help you unhide and recover hidden files that are deleted on your computer. In case you have any doubts or questions on how to recover deleted hidden files, share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.