If you are looking for a solution to recover missing or lost photos on Mac after the update, then you have landed on the right page. Although macOS upgrades improve computer performance, data loss may be one of the downsides.
The latest macOS Catalina comes with superior features compared to the previous macOS like Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra, etc. If you have lost photos after upgrading your macOS from Mojave, Sierra, or High Sierra to Catalina or otherwise then, scroll down to recover lost photos on Mac after update.
Find 3 Different Successful Methods to Recover Lost Photos on Mac After Updating to Catalina, Mojave or High Sierra:
|1. How to recover iPhoto pictures missing after Mac upgrade using the iPhoto Library?|
Watch This Video Tutorial to Recover Missing iPhoto Pictures After Mac Update
Remo Recover Mac is a Mac Photo Recovery tool to easily restore lost, deleted and inaccessible photos or videos of any format such as JPEG, PNG, PSD, JPG, GIF, TIFF, RAW images, MOV, MP4, etc. after updating macOS to Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra or any other macOS version.
An iPhoto library is a package that contains all your photos arranged into a separate location. Follow the steps to know how you can recover lost iPhoto pictures after upgrade to Catalina, Mojave, or High Sierra, etc.
Home > Users > Username > Pictures > Click iPhoto Library > Now Right-click iPhoto Library to select Show Package Contents > Open Masters or Originals folder > Now, locate and recover photos on Mac after update.
Incase, if you have failed to locate or recover lost Photos on iPhoto Library then, move on to the next method to recover them using Time Machine Backup on Mac.
With the help of Time Machine Backup, you can easily recover deleted, lost or missing files, photos, videos, applications, etc. as it automatically takes backup of your Mac once Time Machine is turned on. Follow the below-mentioned steps to recover lost photos on Mac after update.
(Note: The same steps can be utilized to recover iPhoto pictures lost after upgrading to Sierra, High Sierra, or Mojave.)
Go to Apple menu > click System Preferences > Then, click Time Machine > Now, tick the checkbox Show Time Machine on the menu bar
- Connect your Time Machine Machine Backup drive on Mac computer on which you have lost photos after macOS up-gradation and click the Time Machine Backup icon on the menu bar to recover lost photos after Mac update.
- Select the Enter Time Machine Backup option
- Now you can either select the specific date on which you lost your photos after the up-gradation to the latest macOS or you can go back in time hourly, daily or weekly by clicking on the upper arrow to recover iPhoto pictures
- Select the photos you want to recover and then click Restore to recover lost photos from Time Machine Backup after macOS up-gradation
Note: If you haven’t scheduled Time Machine Backup before upgrading to Catalina or any other macOS up-gradation, then you cannot restore lost photos on Mac using Time Machine.
In such cases, utilize the Remo Recover Mac which is the best data recovery software for Mac to easily recover lost photos on Mac after updating to Catalina, Mojave, Sierra, High Sierra, etc. if no Time Machine Backup is scheduled or any backup is taken before macOS Upgradation.
Remo Mac Photo Recovery software is a very efficient tool that can recover more than 300 file formats that are lost or deleted not only after Mac update but also from macOS reinstallation, formatted Mac, external hard drives, SSD, USB drive, etc. Download This Tool Now!!!
Why choose the Remo Mac Photo Recovery tool to recover lost photos after Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina update?
- Remo Mac Photo Recovery supports the recovery of deleted Photos, Raw-images, videos, audio, and other media file not only from Mac computers but also from digital cameras, external hard drives, SSDs, memory cards, USB drive, etc.
- Remo Recover Mac easily supports data recovery in different data loss scenarios like deletion, lost, formatting, etc. from MacBook Air, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iMac, iMac Pro, etc.
- It is a prominent tool to recover missing files after Mac update to Catalina and other latest macOS versions like Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra, etc. with ease.
Download and install Remo Recover Mac Software on your Mac computer to recover lost photos after Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina update and then, start with the following steps.
Step 1: Launch Remo Recover Mac software on your Mac computer to recover lost photos after Mac update and select Recover Photos option on the main screen.
Step 2: Click Recover Lost Photos option to recover lost photos on Mac after Catalina, Sierra, or any other macOS update.
Step 3: Now, select the drive or volume on your Mac computer on which you lost photos after Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina update and click Next.
Step 4: Select the lost photo file type or format which you want to recover from Mac after the update and click Next.
(Note: If you are not sure about the file type or photo format which you want to restore then, click Skip option.)
Step 5: After the scanning process completes, select the desired location on your Mac to save the recovered photos that are lost after Mac update to Catalina, Sierra or Mojave, etc. by clicking Save option.
Some of the supported Photo formats (lost or deleted) that can be recovered by Remo Recover Mac tool are as follows:
- Photo formats: JPEG, JPG, JFIF, JPEG 2000, TIFF, TIF, PNG, BMP, GIF, PSD, WebP, Exif, PPM, PGM, PBM, PNM, HEIF, BAT, etc.
- Raw image formats: CR2, CRW, NEF, ARW, SR2, ORF, MRW, 3FR, RAW, X3F, PEF, DNG, RAF, KDC, K25, DCR, R3D, CAP, EIP, EIP, PTX, JPEF, 3FR, PXN, etc.
Common reasons for Missing photos after macOS update
- Mac computer crashes while upgrading to Catalina, High Sierra or any other macOS version can lead to photo loss.
- Unreliable or improper methods utilized for upgrading Mac.
- Sudden interruptions like Mac computer shutdown or restarts while upgrading macOS to Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina.
Note: It is always recommended to take a backup of your important photos or files before upgrading Mac to avoid photo loss situations.
How to backup files using Time Machine Backup to avoid photo loss or deletion after Mac update?
The very first thing to do before performing any operations like macOS Catalina up-gradation, Mac formatting, macOS reinstallation, etc. is to take a backup of all your important files and photos to avoid data loss. Follow the steps to take a backup of all your photos or files before updating your Mac computer.
- Connect an external hard drive like SSD or external hard drive on your Mac before updating the Mac computer.
- Now, Mac will ask whether you want your drive to be used as a backup drive with Time Machine.
- Check or select Encrypt Backup Disk option to make your backup drive protected with a password.
- Click on Use as Backup Disk option.
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.