If you own a Sony camera, no doubt your Instagram game is on high, and it's buzzing with pretty-looking photos shot with it. Sony is not only known for taking the best pictures but has also become one of the favorites for those who stream or create content on YouTube.
Accidentally deleting photos from a Sony camera or losing them for any other reason can be a nightmare, putting your precious memories at risk. That brings us to the point of discussion: how to recover photos from a Sony camera? Let's find out.
3 Proven Methods to Recover Deleted Photos From Sony Camera?
Below, we have added two proven methods to recover photos from a Sony camera.
Method 1: Recover Using Sony Photo Recovery Software
To easily and safely restore photos from a Sony camera, make use of the Remo Recover software. Remo Recover is a powerful tool that is specially designed to recover permanently deleted or lost photos from Sony Cameras. Be it Sony Cybershot or Sony’s advanced DSLRs, Remo can restore all of them in no time. Download this tool for free and follow the below simple steps to start the Sony photo recovery process.
- After downloading the software, install it on your computer and connect your Sony SD card to the same computer.
- From the main screen, select the Sony Camera SD card from which you want to recover deleted photos, and click Scan.
- This will initiate the scanning process, and during the scanning process, the Dynamic Recovery View will display all the photos recovered in real-time.
- Now, you can use the Advanced Filter option to filter out deleted photos based on various filters like File Type, Date Modified, etc.
- You can also double-click on any photo to Preview the image before recovering.
- If you are satisfied with the preview, select the photos you wish to restore and click on the Recover button.
Method 2: Recover Photos From Sony Camera Using PhotoRec (Free)
Use PhotoRec to recover photos from your Sony camera. PhotoRec is an open-source, free software known for its capabilities and strength in recovering deleted or lost photos from various storage devices. Here are the steps to recover deleted photos from a Sony camera using PhotoRec:
- Download the zip file containing TestDisk and PhotoRec from CGSecurity.
- Open the "photorec_win" file inside the extracted folder after unzipping the file.
- Use the arrow keys to select the Sony Camera SD card from which you want to recover data. Press Enter to confirm your selection.
- Choose "Search for data recovery" and press Enter to initiate the Sony photo recovery process.
- Specify the file system type used on the Sony SD card.
- Use the arrow keys to choose where to save the recovered photos.
- Press the "C" key to start the Sony photo recovery process.
Method 3: Check For Previous Backups
Fortunately, if you've diligently backed up your precious photos on your computer, external drives, or cloud storage, the restoration process becomes more manageable. Follow these steps to recover your deleted or lost photos from your Sony camera using your backups:
- Locate the device or cloud service where you stored photo backups (computer, external drive, cloud).
- Navigate to the specific folder containing your photo backups.
- Copy the desired photos from the backup storage.
- Paste the copied images into the desired destination folder on your computer or storage location.
- Double-check the destination folder to ensure successful restoration. Open a few images to confirm integrity.
Do you Know?
Photos shot on Sony cameras are generated in Sony’s native file format called ARW files, which is a RAW image file format used by Sony. You can find out more about ARW files used in Sony here.
Effective Tips to Recover Photos from Sony Camera
1. Avoid using your Sony Camera after experiencing data loss.
When facing data loss on your Sony Camera, it's crucial to refrain from using it further. Upon deleting or formatting photos from the camera's memory or SD card, cease usage immediately to prevent data overwriting, thereby enhancing the likelihood of a successful photo recovery.
2. Make use of another storage device to restore your recovered data.
To maximize the chances of photo recovery, employ a different storage device for restoring your recovered data. Avoid saving the retrieved photos to the same camera card where the loss occurred. Opt for an alternative SD card or external drive to store the recovered files securely.
3. Do not hesitate to save the scanning process when required.
When performing a recovery scan, don't hesitate to save the results. If you plan to restore the photos later, having saved scan results allows for a more efficient process. This way, you can import the saved results directly, eliminating the need to rescan the device.
4. If you are a Mac OS user, do not worry.
For Mac users encountering photo loss on their Sony camera, there's a solution. Download Remo Recover Mac, a tool designed to facilitate smooth and secure photo recovery on the Mac Operating System. This software is compatible with all versions of Mac OS, including the latest Mojave.
BONUS: Can You Recover Photos From Sony Camera's Internal Memory?
No, because Sony cameras typically connect to computers using the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), which may not allow standard data recovery software to directly access the camera's internal memory.
However, recovering data from the Camera’s internal memory is more complex and challenging compared to traditional storage devices like SD cards.
In case photos are deleted from your Sony camera’s internal memory, the deleted files from the Sony camera are removed permanently. This is because they do not have a Recycle Bin feature like computers and smartphones.
Before we end, it is important for us to know whether you were successful in recovering photos from the Sony Camera. Whether you use a Sony a7iii, Sony zv e10, Sony a7iv, or even a Sony fx3, Your feedback will help us improve our product by guiding us in the right direction. You can let us know that in many ways. The best way is to write a review on Remo Recover and share the word.
In case you have any queries, you can always make use of the comment section below we will be more than happy to help you out in restoring your photos from a Sony camera.
Frequently Asked Questions
To recover deleted photos from Sony A6000, download and install the Remo Recover tool and follow the below steps:
Step 1: Launch the software on your system, select the memory card of the Sony A6000, and click on the Scan button.
Step 2: The software will start scanning your Sony A6000 card and after its completion, a list of recovered files is displayed under the Lost and Found folder or Lost Partition folder.
Step 3: You can preview all the recovered photos from your Sony A6000 for free using the Preview feature.
Step 4: If you are satisfied with the recovery results, select the photos that you want to restore and hit the Recover button to save them at your desired location.
Yes, it is possible to recover deleted photos from a Sony Cybershot Camera for free. Use Remo Recover Windows free edition, which can recover up to 1 GB of data for free from your Sony Cybershot camera.
There are many photo recovery software available in the market. But when it comes to performance, reliability, ease, and excellent recovery results, there are very few, and they are:
1. Remo Recover
2. Disk Drill
3. Stellar Data Recovery
Remo Recover is compatible with all Sony cameras, including Sony A7iii, Sony A6400, Sony zv e10, Sony A7iv, Sony fx3, Sony Alpha,rx100, Sony A6000, and many more.