You know how important images are to your website. They strengthen the brand’s identity and provide signs. Especially, product pictures play a crucial part in an online shopper’s experience. When images are optimized, they also drive a lot of new traffic to your website, thus boosting sales. So poor photos are not an option.
Suppose you upload photos that are very large in size, then they can slow the page loading time, and result in higher bounce rates, which decreases sales. And if you have reduced an image size, then you know how it affects the quality of the image.
However, it is possible to reduce image size and also not compromise on its quality. Read on to know how:
This tutorial explains steps for Adobe Photoshop CC 2017. These steps may vary for other Photoshop versions.
You need to determine the image aspect ratio and if the photo has to be cropped, which dictates what type of photo it is, and where it is going to be positioned on the site. If you are cropping an image for a thumbnail, then select a 1:1 aspect ratio.
Next, you have to alter the image size and compression quality, which can be done with Photoshop’s Save for Web tool. Go to File – Export – Save for Web (Legacy). In the Save for Web window, you have to pay attention to several functions.
- 2-UP (and 4-UP): It provides a side-by-side comparison of the original photo to the compressed file
- Compression quality: You can choose from low, medium, high, very high, and maximum presets depending on your compression requirements and file size needs
- File format: JPEG format will be allowed for most compression
- Image Size: To set the dimensions of the image. Keep the proportions constrained by ensuring that lock icon or toggle is selected. This makes sure the image is not distorted.
- Quality slider: Scale the quality to increase the compression while preserving the photo quality
- Image file size & download rate: It displays the current file size, the file format of the optimized photo including the current download rate of the image
While reducing an image file size in Photoshop, each image takes an individualized amount of tweaking to find the best image quality and compression. Some of the free Web tools to reduce image file size, and also edit them are Canva and Pixlr.
Extra Info: If you have issues with PSD files like corruption or inaccessibility, then you can repair PSD file on Mac with the help of this PSD Repair tool.
There are many plugins available in the market which makes image resizing process easier and automated. So make sure you are using reliable tools to edit, compress, or resize images. This is because if you use unreliable tools, then your photos can get corrupted. If your PSD file is damaged, or PSD end of file error has made the file inaccessible, Photoshop file fails to open, etc., then you can use this reliable PSD Repair tool to fix the problems.