The new APFS (Apple File System) was introduced with macOS High Sierra and continued for later versions of macOS such as Mojave and Catalina. Known for its efficient data management, APFS has been the preferred file system over the previous HFS or HFS+ versions.
Despite the credibility, the APFS drives could underperform due to bad sectors in the drive, abruptly shutting down the computer or the drive could be nearing its end. In any of these cases, the drive is always vulnerable to data loss. Regardless, there are ways to repair APFS disk and recover the data. Adhere till the end of the article to know more.
Caution: If your priority is safeguarding the data on the corrupted APFS drive, make sure you recover the files from the APFS formatted drive before you conduct any repair. Click here to learn more on how to safely recover the data before repairing the APFS drive.
Repair APFS disk with Disk Utility:
The Mac computer equipped with a built-in Disk Utility that can greatly aid in repairing APFS disk. Follow the steps below to perform the repair.
- Reboot the system, press and hold Command+R as the computer starts
- The computer will boot into recovery mode, from the list displayed click on Disk Utility option
- From the left sidebar, select the APFS volume or disk to be fixed and click on First aid
- In case the utility is not able to fix the drive, the computer shows the message stating “First Aid process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume. Click Done to continue”.
- If no message is displayed click on Run. After completion of the process, you will be able to repair APFS disk
The effectiveness of the above-mentioned steps can be limited as they resolve only minor issues. Once the computer notifies that the disk cannot be repaired, it can be a serious threat to the data as well as the drive. You will need to take precautions and recover APFS data, as the disk might fail at any point in time.
However, if the Disk Utility could not repair your APFS disk, try fixing the disk by running the FSCK command as mentioned in the further section
NOTE: The FSCK command should be used as a last solution to fix the drive. The FSCK method does not guarantee to fix the Corrupted APFS drive.
Fix APFS volume by running FSCK command:
Repair APFS by following the instructions mentioned in this section. The FSCK method needs to be performed in single-user mode.
- Start the Mac computer, press and hold Command+R as the computer starts
- After entering the Single User Mode, you will see a white text which will appear on the screen
- To start the file system check, type the fsck –fy and hit enter
- After completion of the check, if the computer generates a message stating “File system was modified”, then run fsck –fy again
- Upon running the command again, the message “The volume appears to be OK" will be displayed
- Type reboot on the command and hit enter to restart the computer
Despite trying the above-mentioned steps, if the problem on the APFS disk still persists, then you may have to format the drive with a fresh copy of macOS Catalina. Make sure you recover or backup the data before installing the new macOS. As you can never estimate the extent of damage the drive has undergone, use a professional recovery tool such as Remo Recover and follow the below-mentioned steps to recover the APFS disk.
Additional Information: If you come across APFS Volume Superblock is invalid error, get more information on how to fix the error by clicking on the given link.
Although disk repair is done to overcome corruption, there can be a possibility that the repair process could damage the drive even further. This is because a corrupted disk is weak and prone to failure. Sometimes making any changes to the APFS drive can eventually leads to data loss.
Hence, before going any further it is always better to recover APFS data before performing any repair. However, if your APFS volume is severely corrupt, the manually recovered data could not be intact or complete. In some cases, the hard drive could be inaccessible due to complete failure. In such cases, you definitely need the aid of a trusted APFS data recovery software to recover the data.
Performing data recovery on any corrupted disk could is very risky, as the drive could be inaccessible. But with the Remo APFS data recovery tool on your side, you can safely recover data from APFS disk, despite being corrupt and inaccessible. The advanced scan engine glides through the hard disk sector by sector to recover the data. Download and try the software for free now.
How to recover data from APFS volume?
Download and install the Remo Mac data recovery software and follow the steps.
- From the main screen click on Recover Volumes / Drives button
- Next, choose the Formatted/Reformatted Recovery option
- From the list of drives shown, choose the volume to be recovered
- Select the type of files that you choose to recover and click on Next
- After the completion of the recover process, choose the file and click on Preview to validate recovered file
- Finally, click on Save and browse for a location to save the recovered data
The new APFS file system is highly reliable to save data on Mac hard drive. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, the hard drive can get corrupted. But if the Disk Utility prompts you to back up the data, try recovering the data and replacing the corrupt hard drive.
The troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article will help you to repair the APFS disk. In case the solutions provided in the article fail to repair APFS disk, create a Pre-Boot volume for APFS and reinstall macOS. However, take a backup of the drive before reinstalling the operating system. If you have any questions related to the APFS repair or recovery, please share them in the comment section below.
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.