Outlook has established itself as the most popular email application in the world over the last few years. In addition to emails, it also offers many other features like calendars, to-do lists, RSVP tracking, etc.Despite its amazing features and popularity, users frequently face problems with Outlook every now and then; these problems are mostly relevant to the errors in the PST file. These errors can fixed by repairing PST files in Outlook 2016 or older Outlook versions.
However, it is important to understand that these problems are related to data files in Outlook known as PST files. And fixing these corrupt PST files will help resolve the Outlook problem as a whole. If you are experiencing PST corruption issues, it becomes important to repair the PST file to resume Outlook operations normally.
To repair your Outlook PST file, there can be 2 methods. One of the methods is using a readily available built-in tool called ScanPST provided by Microsoft and the other is a dedicated PST repair software called Remo Repair PST. Both these methods will be covered in detail under the following subsections.
PST files contain all of your Outlook data like emails, contacts, calendar info, notes etc. Due to various reasons, these PST files can get corrupted and cause Outlook to malfunction. Let’s understand what causes corruption in PST files.
Part 1: Repair PST files (Outlook 2016) using built-in ScanPST.exe
ScanPST is a built in tool that is readily available in your system to repair PST files. To use ScanPST,
- Click Windows + E to open File Explorer and search for ‘Scanpst.exe’ in the search bar
- Click on ScanPST.exe from the search results
- Browse to the location of your PST file (You can find PST location by going to File > Info > Account Settings > Account Settings > Data Files)
- Click Repair for ScanPST to repair issues with your PST file
The ScanPST method may be successful only for minor corruption issues in the PST file, but it may not work when your file is severely corrupt. Also, with ScanPST, you may have the risk of losing data because it works on your original PST file. To overcome these problems, a dedicated PST repair tool called Remo Repair PST can be used to repair PST files, explained in the next section.
Part 2: Repair PST files Outlook 2016 and other versions using Remo Repair PST Software
Remo Repair is a top notch PST repair software designed to repair all corruption issues in PST files whether it is simple or complex. It works using a unique technique that reads from your original PST and makes a copy, then repairs issues and produces a new healthy PST file. This way, it prioritizes safety and protects your original Outlook data from any modifications or damage. Along with fixing common Outlook errors, there are also other benefits that Remo Repair PST offers, explained in the next section.
Why is Remo Repair PST the best choice to repair PST files?
- The software prioritizes safety of original PST file
- Ability to repair PST files with any level of corruption
- Can repair PST files of any size (there is no PST file size limitation)
- Can repair password protected and encrypted PST files
- Designed to quickly repair PST files unlike ScanPST which can take a long time
- Also provides an option to locate PST file automatically if you are not aware of the file location
- Has the ability to recover lost or deleted Outlook items like emails, contacts, calendars, notes etc.
- Designed to repair PST files in Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013, Outlook 2010 and earlier versions
How to Repair PST Files Outlook 2016, 2019 and Older versions
- Download and install Remo Repair PST Software
- After you launch this tool, you will find three options on your screen as listed below. Select any one among them and click Next.
- Open Default PST File: Select this option if the PST file associated with an Outlook profile and click on the PST file name to be repaired and click Next
- Select PST File Manually: Select this option if you know the location of your Outlook PST file. Browse the PST file to be repaired and then click Open and Press Next.
- Find All Your PST Files: Select this option if you do not know the location of your PST file or the PST file is not in the defined location. Select the drive for this Repair PST file Outlook 2016 Software to search PST files to be repaired and click Find.
- Now, click the Smart Scan option and select a destination to save your Repair PST file and click Next.
- After the Repaired process ends, check the destination location for repaired PST file saved by this Repair PST file software.
Video guide to repair PST files using Remo Repair PST software
Watch the quick video tutorial to get an idea of the steps to repair PST files in Outlook 2016 using Remo Repair PST.
Please note: You can use the same steps in the video to repair PST files in other Outlook versions like 2013, 2010 and earlier.
Understanding the causes of corruption in PST files
Bad sectors: Hard disks usually develop bad sectors over time due to logical or physical damage. If PST files are stored in areas of the hard drive containing bad sectors, it can corrupt them and make the file inaccessible/unreadable.
Oversized PST files: Every Outlook version has a certain PST file size limit and for Outlook to provide optimal performance, it is better if these files are within the size limit. However, since PST files are databases containing a lot of information, they tend to become large and if your file exceeds the size limit, chances of it getting corrupt are more.
Storing PST files on a server: Server failures can occur due to hardware or software issues, system overload and various other reasons. If the server on which PST files are stored fails, then chances of corruption are more.
Closing Outlook when PST is in use: Normally, when you are working with Outlook, PST files may be in use. Closing Outlook when PST files are being accessed may cause corruption issues.
Virus attacks: Virus and malware attacks are known to cause corruption in PST files. This is one of the most common reasons for PST corruption.
As you’ve seen in the video, repairing PST files using Remo Repair PST is an easy and straightforward process. Please comment below if you have any questions or contact the tech support team that is available to assist you 24/7.
Customer Evangelist @remosoftware. Trying to perfect the art of writing while running a business. Fan of exceptional customer service.