A Word file fails to display its images due to a number of reasons.
Case 1: Usually this issue arises even due to some settings that you made to your word application. Using the “Wrapping style” option with your image instead of “In line with text” and other settings listed below can be a reason for the issue:
- Word document view is set to Draft view or Outline
- If Show drawings and text boxes on-screen preference is disabled.
- When Print drawings created in Word choice deactivated.
- If you have enabled, Use draft quality
Case 2: When you opt “In line with text” selection for your inserted images and still, your Word document is not showing pictures then it seems Picture Placeholders option is enabled in your Word application.
Case 3: In some circumstances, your images don't show up in Word document, if there exist any glitches in your Windows video driver.
So, try below-explained troubleshooting methods and try to solve your Word document not showing pictures problem.
Method 1: Use "In line with text" option
- Click on the inserted image
- Switch to Format tab
- Go to Arrange group
- Select Text Wrapping
- Opt In-line with text
Method 2: Change the View
If you are using Draft or Outline view, then select one of these views,
Print Layout/ Full-Screen Reading / Web Layout
Method 3: Enable Show drawings and text boxes on-screen option
- Go to File and select Options
- Click on Advanced tab
- Switch to Show document content
- Enable Show drawings and text boxes on-screen option
- Hit OK button
Method 4: Enable Print drawings created in Word option
- Hit File tab and go to Options
- Jump to Display
- In Printing options, enable Print drawings created in Word option
- Apply changes
Method 5: Disable Use draft quality
- Follow the fourth method and navigate to Print
- Uncheck Use draft quality option
- Opt OK
Method 6: Disable Picture Placeholders
- Track the third method and reach Show document content
- Uncheck Show Picture Placeholderspreference
- Hit OK option
Method 7: Video driver
- Go to Start and launch Command Prompt
- Type CPL
- Change your Windows video driver color quality settings and screen resolution.
- Try updating the video driver
If none of the above fixations helps you then you have to employ some potent troubleshooting technique to bring your Word file back to the normal working state. So, try to repair your DOC file / DOCX file using Remo Word Repair utility. The tool is capable of solving any odd behavior of the Word document, regardless of the cause behind the corruption.
Also, know how to recover unsaved Word document on Mac by going through this article.
However, you should never forget a fact that if you don’t want to get into any problematic situations regarding your Word files then always maintain multiple copies of your important Word document in different locations.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.