While opening the Outlook app for the first time on their new operating systems, users might have dealt with the following error message:
Precedes providing your email details if you are unable to log on to your account or send emails. then the following article is for you, here you will learn step-by-step guidance on fixing this Outlook error in Windows 10.
Outlook Cannot Logon - Solutions
- Check the network connections in your Windows 10 PC:
- Fix your Outlook email connection by repairing your profile
- Boot the PC in Safe Mode and run Outlook:
- Create an Outlook profile
Why can't I log into my Outlook account?
Various information regarding your Outlook account such as login information is stored in the Outlook user’s profile. So if you can’t log on to your Outlook account, chances are there that your Outlook Profile has been corrupted. So, you will have to repair your Outlook Profile in order to use your account again.
You can only fix the ‘Outlook cannot log on…’ error by repairing your corrupted outlook profile in Windows 10. The various steps to deal with a corrupted outlook profile is provided in the following of this article.
Steps to fix ‘Outlook cannot log on…’ error in Windows 10
There are four best methods to fix this error in Windows 10. The methods will be explained step-by-step in the further of this article. Let us look at the first method:
Check the network connections in your Windows 10 PC
Just check whether there is any problem associated with your network connection in windows 10. In order to do that, go to the Start Menu, then click on the settings icon, and select the Network and Internet option.
In the Network & Internet section, you will be able to see whether you’re connected to the internet or not. If your connection is fine, then just move on to the next method.
Boot the PC in Safe Mode and run Outlook
In Safe Mode, with the minimal number of programs running, you will be able to understand the root of the problem easily.
Follow the below steps in order to boot your Windows 10 PC in safe mode.
- Step I: Press the ‘Shift’ button and click on the restart option. Then the following screen will appear: and
- Step II: From the above window, click on the ‘Troubleshoot’ option provided in the list and then click on ‘Advanced Options’ and the following screen will be displayed:
- Step III: From the list of options, click on the ‘Startup Settings’ option provided in the window. And the following list will appear:
- Step IV: Press the F4, F5 or F6 button to enter the safe mode on Windows 10.
Once you enter the Safe Mode in Windows 10 while using outlook, the problems that are causing these errors would be easy to identify.
Fix damaged Outlook Profile to clear the error.
We must remove the corruption of the Outlook profile in order to use the profile and manage your important data, in this method, we fix the error using the repair option provided within the tool.
- Step I: Open Outlook 2016 in Windows, go to the File menu and then select Account Settings as shown in the figure below:
- Step II: In the Account Settings window, you will see the E-mail section. From there, pick out the current profile and press the Repair option inside the window, as shown in the figure.
In this case, we are using the example of Outlook 2016.
If you are using Outlook 2010 or 2013, you can follow the same steps to repair the profile.
If you are using Outlook 2007, you need to go to
Tools > Account Settings > Email > Repair.
Once the repairing process is finished, you must restart your PC so that the changes can take effect.
Make sure that Outlook has stopped displaying these errors once you log in to your computer. If Outlook is still displaying errors, then move on to the next method.
Manage Outlook Account
If none of the above steps had fixed your problem, then it is recommended that you create a new outlook account so that you can manage your mail and other data.
In order to create a new Outlook profile, follow the below steps:
- Go to Control Panel.
- Search for Mail and click on the Mail option.
- After selecting the Mail option, the following window will appear. From here select the ‘Show Profiles’ option, highlighted in the figure.
- After clicking on ‘Show profiles’, the following window will appear. In the following window, click on the ‘Add’ option as shown in the figure.
- Here, you could use the remove option to remove the existing account or use the ‘Add’ option to add a new account.
- In the following window, fill in the name, email address and password in order to create your new Outlook account as given in the figure below.
As the corrupted profile is not being used anymore, Outlook will start up without displaying any errors.
You can easily fix the “Outlook cannot logon…” errors easily with the above steps.
Repair Corrupt Outlook PST with Remo Repair Outlook Software:
If the above said manual method doesn’t work, then the last option you are left out with is using reliable third-party software. Remo Repair Outlook is one such most trusted and reliable software that fixes the corrupt Outlook profile and restores the damaged PST file in three easy-to-execute steps. The trial version of the software is available for free download that fixes corrupt PST files, and avails free preview of the PST file & recover emails, contacts, appointments, journals, RSS Feeds, and other Outlook attributes prior to purchase the licensed version.
The article summarizes how to log in to Outlook profile which is inaccessible due to various reasons mentioned above, followed by the effective methods on how to resolve the error. If you have any further queries regarding the article. Make use of the comment section below.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.