Sending large files across the internet has many hurdles due to a lack of support for large files. Zipping a file is a very good option that can help you compress and share the files across emails or any other applications. Therefore, make sure to password protect your ZIP files from prying eyes. However, when the file size exceeds the limit even after Zipping the file you can split the zip file
Zip file format is an archived file format, it contains one or more compressed files. Windows can zip and unzip files quickly, but in order to do more than that, you'll have to make use of third-party programs like WinZip, 7zip. In this article, we are using the 7zip tool to split zip file for free.
What is a Split zip file?
Split zip file is a splitting feature that can break huge zip file into smaller pieces, splitting feature is used generally when you are trying to email a large zip file that exceeds your limit, you can split a zip file and email them separately. To break Zip files (.zip or .zipx) into smaller pieces, you can use 7Zip.
A few scenarios that leads to creating a split Zip file are mentioned below:
- Use a split zip file as an alternative to the spanning zip file on CD / DVD (to make multiple copies of zip file data on disk).
- You might find it difficult to download very large Zip files from web pages, FTP sites, etc. You can divide large files into smaller pieces using the split Zip feature.
- Usually, email restricts the attachment size; if you want to send an email that has a big Zip file that exceeds your limit, you can split it into smaller pieces and separately email them.
How to Split an Existing Zip File into smaller pieces on Windows?
- Right-click the file that you want to split, roll the mouse over the 7-Zip, and then click Add to Folder.
- When adding to archive a menu pops up to enter the details like the name of the file and mention the size of the file or select the size from a drop-down menu, make sure you retain the .zip extension.
- Click on OK. You'll see a progress window that displays the status. Depending upon the size of the file, this will take some time.
Note: Read how to extract multiple RAR files into a single file.
How to Split an Existing Zip File into smaller pieces on Mac?
- Open the Terminal program in the utility folder.
- Navigate to the folder where the ZIP file is stored that you want to split.
- To change files, use the cd (change directory) command. For example, enter "cd Documents" to change from your home folder to the Documents folder.
- To change to a folder with a space in the name, enter cd My\ Folder; the backslash escapes the space character and prevents it from being interpreted as the beginning of a new order.
- To return to the previous folder, type cd. In order to search the current directory, enter the pwd (present working directory) command.
- Enter the above commands in the command line and press enter, these commands will take an input of a zip file and split it into small pieces, These pieces or segments are titled in the form of SplitArchive.zip, SplitArchive.z01, SplitArchive.z02.
Now that you have split the zip file you can share it via email. Extracting it, thereby making the vital details unobtainable. This can be due to different aspects, such as header error, CRC error, virus attack.
The split zip file cannot be opened using the 7Zip tool. When attempting to unzip content from corrupted split Zip files, 7Zip also displays error messages.
In order to solve cases like this, You can use Zip repair software by Remo. Remo provides a simple and handy user interface to repair corrupted or damaged split Zip files. You will also get 24*7 technical support for fixing corrupt or damaged split Zip file using the Remo Repair Zip.
Try the tool for free to repair zip files, activate the product to save the repaired zip file to the desired location. Download now.
Repair corrupt or Damaged Split File using Remo Repair Zip
- Download and install then launch Remo Repair Zip.
- Click on the Browse option, select the Zip file(.zip or .zipx) and click on the Repair button.
- Preview the repaired zip file to verify the repair process.
- To save recovered data, activate the product and save the repaired split zip file to the desired location.
Note: If you accidentally delete or lose Zip files it is recommended to make use of a reliable data recovery software like Remo Recover Windows.
In general, if you are facing any issue with large files even after compressing them, it becomes difficult to share an email henceforth you end up splitting the zip file. The split zip compresses each file separately, so chances are that only one file will be affected if a split zip file is corrupted and the rest split zip files are corrupt free. Hope this article helped you with splitting the zip file, comments below if you have any queries.
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.