Windows registry has a tree like structure and it is divided into three parts, they are main branches called hives, small branches called keys and leaves called values.
Let us know about hives in brief
- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - contains information about registered applications, including file associations and OLE object classes
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - contains most settings for your hardware, OS software, and third party applications
- HKEY_USERS - contains all PC users settings
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER – contains all settings and configuration information for the user currently logged on. In addition, user’s screen colors, folders, and control panel settings are stored here
- HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG - contains settings for your PC’s hardware components such as display and printers
Above-mentioned list of hives are very important part of accessing, managing information on system. Sometimes you may come across Windows registry errors when above-mentioned hives are attacked by virus threats or when there is a problem with the OS files. Finally, it leads to system’s low performance. Therefore, follow below mentioned tricks to fix Windows Registry errors when occurs.
Tips and Tricks to fix Windows registry errors
- Do a System Restore
- Click Start and open System Tools
- Click on System Restore
- In case if you did not use System Restore previously, then click Next. However, if you have gone through or created restore points previously then check on radio button with the description ‘Choose a different restore point’. Once completed, choose your preferred restore point
- Click Next
- Click Finish. Once done with all these steps, the system auto restarts to finish the system restore with all settings being restored to their preferred restore point
The Windows registry contains information, settings, options, and other values for all versions of MS Windows OS and programs and hardware installed in system. This information may get corrupt by virus and malware threats and leads to system’s poor performance. Hence, it is better to keep a copy of Windows registry that would help us to restore in case if it crashes.
Follow instructions to backup Registry
- Click start and type ‘regedit’ in the search box
- Choose File on the top menu and click Export
- Select a destination folder for the backup files. You should click the ‘All option within the Export Range’. Once done, this method would end up backing the registry to its original destination folder
Sometimes Windows Registry errors may give raise to BSOD- Blue Screen of Death in a system that leads to Windows startup problem and finally you will end up with huge data loss stored on hard disk. If that lost data is very important for you and wish to recover them then just make use of Remo Recover Windows application that has all the capabilities in order to recover files and folders without altering the original one.
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.