Microsoft provides security patches, hotfixes, and software updates frequently so that users could not face issues while using Windows OS. You can get all these updates in Windows Update window and these updates keep your system safe and also boost your system performance. You can download Windows Updates either manually or automatically. However, there are times where Windows Update fails to install either automatically or manually. So, here are few guidelines to fix problems which restrict you from installing Windows Updates.
The first and foremost thing you have to do is try to use Windows Update Troubleshooter.
How to Run Windows Update Troubleshooter?
- Download and open Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Click on Fix It button
- It will take you to File Download dialog box, where you have to press Run button
- Then, go through the steps mentioned in the wizard
- Select Windows Update and once again reinstall all the updates
If you fail to fix the problem using Windows Update Troubleshooter, then use the solutions explained below. But, before using these methods, create system restore point.
- Use built in Disk Cleanup utility to remove temporary files and internet cache from your Windows system. Reboot your system and once again try to install available updates
- Try to install Windows Update by disabling Firewall and Anti-virus software
- Go to computer and select Manage, it will show computer management window. From that select Services and right click on “Cryptographic Service”. And stop this service. Give another name for “Catroot2” which is located in C:\Windows\System32\Catroot. Now, reboot your computer. Then, try to install Windows Updates.
- Search for C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log, where you will get error codes for failed update. If there are too many messages, delete WindowsUpdate.log and once again try to install your updates. Now you will get the error codes for current problem. Now visit
Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > Applications and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > WindowsUpdateClient > Operational. Find the warning messages and check for the reason for them in Windows Update Error Codes. Try to fix the issue.
- Delete the software distribution folder using common prompt. Open command prompt and type
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
Now, go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and erase everything from this folder. In case, if you fail to do that, close all the opened files and restart your computer and again follow the same steps.