Hard drive is the storage device wherein all your programs and other files are stored on your Mac computer. As your hard drive becomes old, its storage necessity increases and even the speed diminishes gradually. Often people try to upgrade to faster hard drives in such instances. If you are planning for upgrading your Mac, then you'll need to purchase a faster drive. Replacing just requires only few steps.
Actually, the upgrading procedure differs for both Mac Desktop hard drive and MacBook series Laptop hard drives. Don’t worry! This page covers both the procedures. Below explained is the procedure to easily upgrade your Mac hard drive, just have a glance, you will get to know how simple it is.:
(Note: Before starting the process, make sure you have backed up your entire hard drive data. It is advisable create a disk image and keep it safely)
Mac desktop hard drive up gradation
- First, ensure that you have turned off the power by if not then just turn it off and Shut Down your Mac machine
- Disconnect all the cables including power cables, which are plugged into the computer
- Turn your computer over so that the bottom is facing up and then lift the latch up to remove the cover
- Now, just find and locate the tab on the battery and remove it from the computer
- At the top of the hard drive, locate the bracket that is holding the hard drive firmly. With the help of the screw driver, just remove the screw in the middle of the bracket and Lift out the bracket
- Just pull on the tab on the hard drive to lift it up and grasp both sides of the drive to disconnect it from the connector cable holding it in place
- Now just remove the hard drive
- Then, insert the new faster hard drive into the connector cable. Place the hard drive into the computer and make sure the mounting screws on the four corners of the drive are seated properly in the space
- After which you will have to re-insert the bracket and tighten the screw
- Now, just replace the battery and put the cover back on the computer
With this your Mac hard drive will be upgraded to faster hard drive. Then just transfer the backed up data to this upgraded hard drive.
MacBook Hard drive up gradation
If you are using a MacBook then, the up-gradation steps will differ just read below to know them:
- Turn off your laptop and turn it upside down. Release the battery cover and remove the rectangular battery by lifting it up and sliding it out
- Trace the metal L-bracket which that is inside the battery bay and remove the four screws which hold it in place with the screwdriver and remove the bracket
- Locate the hard drive tab and gently pull this tab to release the MacBook's metal hard drive from its slot and remove it from the computer
- Unscrew the two pins on either side of the old hard drive to remove the metal housing from it and fit it over the new hard drive.
- Lock the housing with the pins that you removed from the old hard drive
- Slide the new hard drive into the slot (provided to connect plug the hard drive), such that the metal connectors should face inward and the plastic tab faces outward.
- Then just replace the metal L-bracket and the battery
- Lock the battery cover in place and turn on your MacBook
Now, your hard drive is upgraded. Just transfer the backed up data to this hard drive and you can easily use this upgraded hard drive with even more speed. Isn’t simple? However, be careful while disconnecting or connecting your hard drives, if in case you mishandle them, you will lose your entire Mac data. Hence it is advisable to clone your old hard drive or to take the complete hard drive data backup mandatorily. However, even if you don’t have any back up copy then make use of the Remo Recover Mac software because it is the best toolkit available in the market to recover missing files on Mac machines.