As we all know PowerPoint files the special type of files developed by Microsoft which can contain media elements like embedded sounds, pictures, animations etc. They are mainly used in educational institutions or corporate companies and by marketing professionals, trainers, teachers etc. as it provides the clear view of the presentation to the audiences. It utilizes high graphical approach of including charts, pictures, sounds, animations and many others.
When you use PowerPoint files, one should be very cautious as it contains graphical content in it. In case you are planning to prepare one or have already prepared but need to edit it. Then, here are few tips or precautionary measures to be followed while using PPT files :
- Always work from the hard drive: If your PPT file is saved on any removable drives like Floppy disks, CDs, pen drives, etc. except your hard drives. Copy it and save it on your hard drive or system and then work on it
- Turn-Off Allow-Fast Save options: When you are editing your PPT file, always turn off the “Allow-Fast save” option. Actually it doesn’t save the file fast, but it keeps appending the new data to the file until you do “Save” or “Save-As”. At last when you save your PPT, it takes huge amount of time to reconnect and save the entire file
- Save Often: Always make a habit of saving your PPT files, more often. This avoids loss of PPT, due to unexpected system shut down or some uncertainties like closing them without saving
- Take backups: It is the most common issue to take backups, which always serves the purpose in some disastrous situations like hard drive crash or formatting the drive happens
- Zip Files: You may need to send your PowerPoint files via mail i.e. over net in such cases zip your files and then send else, there are chances of corrupting your presentations as, it may have many slides and also media data
- Frequently update your anti-virus software
- Maintain your hard drive in a proper condition so that it doesn’t contain any bad sectors
- Do not depend on Auto-save option: While creating a presentation or while editing, always save manually instead of depending on the auto-save option
- Do not add too much of media data: Do not Stuff your Presentation with huge amount of graphical data like clip arts, sound effects, videos, animations and many more. It makes your file clumsy and increases the chances of corruption
- Do not convert the PowerPoint versions frequently: Many a times, we keep updating the PowerPoint versions as and when the new versions arrive. Hence, you convert the old version files to support the new version. But this frequent conversion causes damage to your PPT file
- Do not cross link PPT files: Generally, hard drive stores files into sections called as clusters. The cluster information is stored in appropriate file system. If two files like .ppt file and .doc file points to same cluster then cross linking occurs. In such cases you may encounter errors while accessing your .ppt files
I believe the above points gave you a brief idea on “how to” and “how not to” use your PPT files. As said above, your PPT files will get damaged in one or the other way. Always try to be very careful and keep the above points in mind while using PowerPoint files. In case even if it gets corrupt you can easily fix corrupted PPT file, using Remo Repair PowerPoint software. Remo Repair PowerPoint is an evolutionary tool that can repair damaged / broken PowerPoint presentations along with its attributes like images, clip-art etc.