Usually, there are no chances of losing data while using Mac Recovery Mode. Mac Recovery Mode is the built-in recovery option offered with your Mac that provides various tools to fix issues. You can start your Mac, reinstall it or recover its certain software related issues or repair disks using macOS Recovery utilities. When you use Recovery Mode tools there is no chances of losing data unless you reinstalling Mac or using disk utility without backup. So, here is how to make use of this Recovery mode.
#1: Launching Mac Recovery Mode
To launch Mac Recovery Mode, reboot the Mac, hold Command and R keys together at startup window. Release the keys when you see the macOS Recovery window.
Mac OS recovery mode offers various utilities like – restore from Time Machine backup, reinstall Mac OS X, get help online and Disk utility. You can select your specific option among them and proceed father.
#2: Reinstall OS X Using Mac Recovery Mode
Here is how to reinstall macOS in Recovery mode:
- Select the Reinstall macOS option
- Click Continue button
- Again opt Continue and select Agree twice
- Select the disk driveon which you want to reinstall the macOS
- Provide your Apple ID and passwordif you are prompted
- Click the Install button
Now, your Mac machine will undergo normal macOS installation, then restart.
The key combinations you choose, determine the version of macOS you like to install on the Mac system when you select the Reinstall macOS option.
Here are the 3 different key combinations available:
- Command + R -> Installs the latest macOS version that was installed on your Mac system
- Options + Command + R-> Upgrades your OS to the latest compatible macOS version
- Shift + Option + Command + R-> Installs the same version of OS X that your Mac got 1st or the closest version
Sometimes a user may encounter data loss when using Mac Recovery mode to reinstall OS X, due to various reasons like improper actions, error messages, unavailability of data/files while creating a backup, etc. So, when you might come across such data loss crisis check your Time Machine backup and restore your lost data from it.
#3: How to Restore from Time Machine Backup Using macOS Recovery Mode?
- Click Restore from Time Machine Backup in macOS Recovery mode
- Carefully go through the Restore Your Systempage and Continue
- Connect and select your Time Machine backup drive and hit the Continue button
- Select the most recent backup of your hard disk among the showed backups and proceed
Now, your Mac will restore the hard drive from the Time Machine backup. Once the process gets completed, your Mac will be rebooted.
In case, Time Machine backup is not available then make use of an effective data recovery tool like Remo Recover (Mac) which is available online and restore your lost data immediately.
How to Recover Lost Data Using Remo Recover?
Step 1: Download Remo Recovery software & install it on your computer and launch it to begin the data recovery process.
Mac OS X 10.5 – Leopard
Mac OS X 10.6 – Snow Leopard
Step 2: Launch Remo Recover (Mac) wizard and click on the Recover Volumes/Drives button. Select the hard disk drive/volume from where you want to recover data and click Next.
Step 3: The software deep scans the drive and displays all recovered data from it. Go through the list of recovered files and Preview them.
Step 4: Finally, mark your required files and Save them in a safe location of your choice.
You can use Remo Recover Mac to even recover lost data from failed iMac, MacBook or any other Mac machine. Also, this tool works well on all available Mac OS X versions including Mac Sierra.
#4: How to Check Startup Disk in Mac Recovery Mode?
- Select Disk Utilityfrom macOS Recovery mode and click Continue
- Select on your startup drivefrom the Disk Utility menu
- Select First Aid and click the Run button
- First Aid will check and verify the health of your Mac startup drive
- When the process gets completed, click Done
- Select Disk Utilityfrom the menu and choose Quit Disk Utility
These are some of the easy options provided Mac to help its users fix any sort of issues thy face while working on Mac. However, ether while reinstalling Mac or while using disk utility to fix issues, keep a backup copy of your data. In case, no backup then Remo Hard drive recovery tool will help you recover all your files in simple steps.
Customer Evangelist @remosoftware. Trying to perfect the art of writing while running a business. Fan of exceptional customer service.