As we all know, Offline storage table files are the files used by the Microsoft exchange server. Outlook allows the user to work offline and automatically synchronize the data while connected to the internet. Outlook enables the storage of data like contacts in a local copy and later synchronizes to a copy of OST on the server.Are you wondering how to extract contacts from OST files? The below section will guide you on descriptive methods to retrieve contacts from your Outlook OST file effortlessly. Before heading to the solution, let us understand why you would want to recover contacts from the Offline storage table.
Common reasons that require data Extraction from OST
Following are the reasons why one would look to extract contacts from the OST file:
- Non-synchronization of the exchange server - In some cases, the offline storage table may fail to synchronize the changes including the recent contacts you might have added to the offline copy of your OST file
- Backing up the data - You may want to back up contacts of the OST file and save the important data onto the system for security purpose
- Changing the file format - Few cases may also involve wanting to convert OST file contacts into some other file format. There might be various other scenarios for extracting contacts from an OST file.
How to Extract Contacts from OST file?
There are two different methods to retrieve contacts from the Offline Storage Table
- Manual method
- Automated file converter for OST
Note: Any information on the OST file can only be extracted onto a PST file. Hence both the above methods involve taking contacts of an OST and exporting or converting them onto a PST file.
Manual method to extract contacts from OST file
By following this approach the user will be able to extract contacts from the OST file in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010 with the help of the Outlook Import/Export feature. The steps are given below:
- First, you have to open the Outlook program and then click on the File tab.
- Now, on the left side, you will see the Open & Export Click on it.
- Then, you have to click on the Import/Export The Import and Export Wizard will open.
- After that, you have to select Export a file option and then click on the Next
- The Export dialog box will appear on your screen. Create a file type option, you have to select Outlook Data File(.pst) and then click on the Next
- Now, In Select the folder to export from an option, you have to select the Contacts folder and then click on the Next
- Click on Save exported file option, click on the Browse button, and choose the desired location where you want to save the file.
- After that, you can select Replace duplicates with items exported, Allow duplicate items to be created, or Do not export duplicate items according to your requirements and click on Finish.
Post following the instructions you will be able to recover contacts from an OST file. However, there are a few drawbacks when you follow the manual method.
Drawbacks of the manual method
- The Outlook users must be connected to Exchange Server through their profiles, if the OST file is corrupted or the exchange server goes down data can be lost
- User may end up corrupting the OST file if they do not strictly follow the procedure
- Manual conversion requires a lot of time and effort.
Restore Contacts from OST using Remo OST to PST converter
Remo OST to PST converter is an automated reliable application that can easily convert an OST file to PST. The tool is also designed to fix OST file by converting corrupted/inaccessible OST file to PST format.
Safely converting OST to PST will allow you to extract contacts, recover your Exchange account emails, calendar, notes, journals, and other items from OST file effortlessly.
Features of Remo OST to PST converter
- The tool works on a read-only mechanism thereby not altering the structure of the OST file.
- Compatible with OST file created on Microsoft Exchange 5.0, 5.5, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, and later versions.
- Repairs damaged Microsoft Exchange OST file without any hassle.
- Designed for quick conversion of OST to PST file along with all the necessary attributes
- Allows the user to preview the OST file before saving it
- The software also has the capability to locate the OST file when the user is unaware
Steps on How to Extract Contacts from OST File
- Download Remo Convert OST to PST on your system and install the software
- Then, from the main screen to browse the OST file by clicking either of the two options. a) Open OST File - If you know the path where the OST file is stored. b) Find OST File - If you don’t know the location of OST file
- In the next screen, provide the destination path where you want to save the converted file
- After completion, a notification will be provided as OST file conversion completed
- After converting the OST file to PST file, you will be able to access contacts and extract them.
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.