You can use your SD card as an internal memory through a feature called Adoptable storage. This adds additional internal memory to your phone. This can be used to store apps and data such as photos, videos, music etc.
Despite the benefits it offers, it comes with certain disadvantages.
- When SD card is formatted as internal storage, your card will be encrypted and can only be used as internal storage. So, when you eject the card and connect it to a computer, it won’t work.
- SD cards are slower compared to internal memory. Thus, using SD cards as internal memory may make your device slow.
Reasons for data loss on SD card:
As with any storage, data on SD cards are also subject to loss and corruption. The following situations may cause data loss on your SD card.
- When SD card is used as internal storage and a factory reset is performed; data present on the card gets erased.
- If your phone has encountered a problem, you may have to format your device. Formatting erases data on the card.
- Sometimes you may encounter error messages such as ‘Your SD card needs formatting, do you want to format it now?’ In this case, your card becomes inaccessible.
In order to retrieve data from SD cards, you will need professional data recovery tools. Remo Recover is an efficient program to recover files from your SD cards. The software uses robust scanning algorithms to scan your drive sector by sector and retrieve data. It works on a read only mechanism, so your original data is not altered during recovery process.
The software can be used to retrieve data from corrupt, RAW and inaccessible memory cards as well. In some cases, you card may be formatted. Remo Recover can be used for photo recovery after formatting the SD card, hard drive, flash drive, pen drive, and other media storage devices as well.
In addition to retrieving data from memory cards, it can also be used to recover data from USB drives, internal & external hard drives and other storage devices. A variety of formats such as photos, videos, audio etc. can be retrieved.
More on Remo Photo Recovery:
- A variety of photo formats such as JPEG, PNG, BMP, PSD etc are supported
- Supports recovery of video formats such as Mov, MP4, AVI, M4V and audio formats such as MP3, MP4 etc.
- Capability to recover RAW images captured on professional DSLR’s as well
- Supports all versions of Windows including the latest Windows 10
- A variant of the software called Remo Recover Mac is available for Mac users. All Mac OS versions including the latest High Sierra is supported.
Simple steps to recover data from SD card formatted as internal storage:
Download Remo Photo Recovery software and install it on your system. Connect the SD card to the system via card reader, and then follow the below explained procedure to get back your files.
- Launch the software and select Recover Photos option from main screen
- Next, select either Recover Deleted Photos or Recover Lost Photos option to recover photos
- Select the drive from which photos have to be recovered and hit Next tab. The scanning process is initiated.
- After completion of scanning, a list of recovered photos is displayed
- Preview the files and save required ones on a location you prefer