Table of Content:
What is DCIM Folder?
The DCIM folder is an acronym for Digital Camera Images folder, which is an automatic folder created on flash memory cards in the camera or the camera application on Android or iPhone to store the captured images. In this article, we will discuss various reasons for the loss of the DCIM folder and also how to recover deleted DCIM folder.
What are the Major Reasons for DCIM Folder Deletion?
- Accidental deletion – While deleting the unwanted folders, you might have deleted the DCIM folder and end up with file loss.
- Unintentional formatting – If the card has been corrupted, error messages may pop stating that “The directory name is invalid”, you might have formatted it and later realized that you need the DCIM folder back.
- Interruptions in file transfer – Abrupt removal of memory card from the camera or system may lead to loss of photos and videos on DCIM folder.
- Misuse of Camera – Taking shots with a low battery camera or switching off the camera abruptly will transferring the photos may lead to file loss.
Note: During such cases we strongly suggest you to stop using the memory card to increase the chance of recovering deleted files or folders.
How do I Get to My DCIM Folder?
- Connect your SD card or Android phone to the computer.
- Open File Explorer. Double click on the new drive under “Devices with Removable Storage”.
- Look for DCIM folder, or you can search for DCIM folder using search bar.
- Double-click on “DCIM”. Then Double-click on “Camera” to view pictures and videos stored on your device. If you’re looking to open DCIM folder on android phone, click on the “.thumbnails” to view the thumbnails used in the Gallery application.
How Do I Restore My DCIM Folder?
To get My DCIM folder back from your SD card and camera you need to make use of a professional photo recovery software. Remo Recover is the most recommended photo recovery software to recover photos and videos from my DCIM folder. This tool has the flexibility to scan for inaccessible/deleted folders and recovers Videos, Music or any other Media files safely. Download the tool for free and try it for yourself.
How To Recover Deleted DCIM Folder:
To recover the DCIM folder from the from any device connect the device to the computer.
- Download Remo Recover software on your system and install it
- Launch the software, and connect the memory card to it
- On the main screen, select Recover Photos option
- From the list of displayed drives, select the memory card and click Scan for scanning process to begin
- Once scanning is completed, you can Preview the recovered files and Save them on any location
In addition to the DCIM folder, Remo Recover supports different types of digital media file recovery and restores them back quickly. It also helps you sort the recovered media files based on their name, date, and file size. You can even connect your mobile SD card and make use of the Remo Recover tool to recover MP3 audio, image files, videos, etc.
How to Restore DCIM Folder using Command Prompt on Computer?
- Connect Android to PC using a USB cable and enable USB debugging on the Android device.
- After the connection is successful, press Windows + R keys to run a dialog box.
- Type CMD and press Enter to open a command prompt window.
Enter chkdsk (Enter the SD card drive letter ) /f and press enter ( example: chkdsk H: /f ).
Once the process is complete you will be able to see the DCIM folder on the SD card.
Benefits of using Remo Recover software
- The tool is available on both Windows and Mac operating system, and is compatible with all the versions
- Apart from the DCIM folder the tool can be used to recover deleted camera roll folder
- It can even recover deleted photos from the camera and also supports various types of memory cards like SD, SDHC, XD and MMC etc.
- Not just the cameras or smartphones, you can recover deleted photos and videos from GoPro camera SD cards as well.
- Tool also helps you retrieve lost or erased files from different storage locations like hard drives, pen drives, external storage devices etc.
As the DCIM folders are stored on the portable storage devices such as SD cards, you might be plugging these drives to different computers. Therefore, DCIM can get deleted easily. However, by taking proper backup of the drive, you can easily recover the lost media files from the backup. But if you have come across data loss, make use of Remo Photo Recovery Software to recover the DCIM folder.