Windows Media Player is a renowned media player program developed by Microsoft. This media library application is used to flawlessly play audios, and videos of various file formats on the Windows operating system including the latest Windows 10.
Sometimes you might encounter an error on your Windows Media Player saying “Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.”
Why Windows Media Player Cannot play the file?
Window Media Player cannot play MP4, AVI, WMV, or MP3 files if it encounters a problem which is due to various reasons like the unsupported file system, codec problem, third party application, corrupt or damaged video, downloaded videos from an unreliable source, issues related to Windows Media Player, etc.
How to fix Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file?
Find here a complete guide to fix Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file with the help of below 6 proven methods.
Note: Make use of this method 6 to directly repair your corrupt or damages videos using Remo Video Repair software.
After you encounter a problem while playing a video or file on Windows Media Player, then the first thing to do is to fix the issue with the help of Windows Media Player settings troubleshooter.
- Press Windows key + R at the same time.
- Now, the Run window will open, type msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic in the Open box, and click OK.
- Click Advanced in the Windows Media Player Settings and select Run as administrator.
- Click Next to allow Windows Media Player Settings to detect the issue and then, click Apply this Fix option to resolve Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.
In case, If you are unable to fix Windows Media Player encountered a problem even after performing the above Windows troubleshooting method, then move on to the next method.
Reinstalling Windows Media Player can definitely help you fix issues related to the installation of the Windows Media Player application and thereby it can allow you to play your videos or audio files effortlessly.
- Go to Control Panel and select Programs and Features.
- Now, click Turn Windows features on or off at the left side of the screen.
- A new window will open, Expand Media Features list and then, uncheck Windows Media Player and hit OK to confirm.
- Now, restart your Windows computer and go back to the Media Features list to check
Windows Media Player to play your MP4, AVI, or WAV files without any problem.
If the error Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the video or file is not related to the Windows Media Player installation, then head over to the next method to fix this issue.
Codecs are crucial to compress and decompress videos or audio files while playing on Windows Media Player. Due to an unsupported codec, WMP cannot play your file.
Downloading codecs can differ from one file format to another. Below are the details for downloading codecs based on the file types.
- If your Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the AVI file, then it is recommended to download DivX and Xvid codecs. This can help you overcome codec errors with Xvid or DivX.
- In case, your Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the MP4 file, then try downloading K-Lite Codec Pack or Media Player Codec Pack. This will not only help you fix MP4 videos not playing but can also play various other file formats like WAV, MP3, AVI, etc. without any error.
Move on to method 6 if you are directly looking for a solution to fix your corrupt or damaged videos using the Remo Video Repair tool.
Even though Windows Media Player can easily play multiple file formats like MP4, AVI, WAV, MP3, etc. but this application is not compatible with some file formats. Therefore, Windows Media Player encounters a problem if you play the unsupported file formats on it.
If you are looking to play an unsupported or incompatible file on your Windows Media Player, then it is recommended to convert it to the Windows Media Player compatible format.
However, if you are encountering a problem with Windows Media Player even while playing the supported file formats, then the problem can be due to either WMP application or corrupt videos. Moreover, if you are also encountering a problem or video lagging or stuttering issue on the VLC media player. Then this can be definitely due to corrupt or damaged videos.
Make use of the prominent Remo Video Repair tool to repair your corrupt or damaged videos.
You can fix Windows Media Player encountered a problem by disabling WMP Network Sharing Service, here’s how to do it:
- Press Windows button+R.
- Type services.msc in the Open box and click OK.
- Select and right-click the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and go to the Properties option.
- Now, Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Properties will open, select Disabled option under Startup type.
Note: In case, if the service status is running, then click the Stop button.
After you perform this method, verify if your Windows media player is still encountering the problem while playing the MP4, AVI, or WMV file.
In case, if the Windows Media Player encountered a problem is related to the media player then, you can solve it using the above methods, or else you need to make use of a reliable video repair tool like Remo Video Repair to fix the file corruption or damage issue.
Utilize the Remo Video Repair which is a user-friendly tool exclusively designed to fix corrupt, damaged, or broken MP4, MOV, AVI, and many other video file formats. This tool works with the advanced video repairing algorithms to fix video causing the Windows Media Player error while playing the file in just a few steps.
- Download and install the Remo Video Repair tool.
- Click the Select File option to choose the corrupt video file which is not playing on the Windows Media Player.
Note: To repair MOV or MP4 video, you need to provide a healthy video as a reference file, and repairing AVI video does not require any reference file.
- Click the Repair option to start repairing a corrupt video file.
- After the end of repairing process, you can preview the repaired video for free and click the Save option to save the playable video on a location of your choice.
Some of the codecs supported by Remo Video Repair software are as follows:
- Video Codecs: avc1, mp4v, mjpeg, jpeg
- Audio Codecs: sowt, RAW, mp4a, ms, priv, twos
Fixing Windows Media Player error while playing the video file is easier using the above reliable methods. However, if the WMP encountered a problem is due to the corrupt file, then you can make use of the Remo Video Repair software to fix the corrupt video.
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.