An external hard drive has a specific amount of memory space that can be divided into number of parts called partitions. By creating more number of partitions on external hard disk, you can easily manage and organize files and folders efficiently and even you can install multiple copies of Operating System. However, creating a partition on external hard drive on Windows 8 OS is not a complex task.
Just follow below mentioned steps to create partitions on external HD:
- Start Windows 8 system and connect external hard disk to it via data cable
- Click on Start button and type "diskmgmt.msc" into the search bar and press Enter key to get “Disk Management Utility” menu
- This utility displays all available drives in system and you right click on your external hard drive to choose Shrink Volume and wait for few minutes until system scan that drive
- Enter how much memory space you wish to allocate for the partition into the box that appears
- Right click on the "Unallocated" space icon and click on the "New Simple Volume" button.
- Follow the wizard that appears to create your new partition
By following above-mentioned steps carefully, one can easily create new partitions on external hard drive on Windows 8 system. However, there are chances that some unknown errors or abrupt system shutdown will stop the process in between and in such situations; you will lose your very essential data such as videos, images, documents, etc. If you face similar situations then you can make use of Remo Recover Windows Software because it comes very handy and easily perform external hard drive file recovery on Windows 8 system. I hope this information would help you lot.