Enabling Cached Exchange Mode creates a copy of the mailbox data items stored on the Exchange server in an OST file format on your local computer. It reduces the number of requests made to the server and thereby improves the speed to access Outlook items such as emails, contacts, etc.
Due to the Cached Exchange Mode, Outlook is nowhere dependent on the constant internet connectivity to access the user’s information. Thus, enabling the Cached Exchange mode helps users to work on Outlook without network connectivity.
Later, the local and server data is synchronized by Outlook and the Exchange Server after the connectivity is back. This helps improve the usage of Outlook when there is a slow or no internet connection. The latest Outlook such as Outlook 2019 is available for Work offline mode.
Here is a complete guide on how to enable Cached Exchange Mode and also learn why converting the OST file to a PST file is important while dealing with the Cached Exchange Mode.
Enable Cached Exchange Mode in:
Must Read: Enabling the Cached Exchange Mode allows you to work on the OST file in an Offline mode. But this OST file that is locally saved on your hard drive is prone to corruption due to many reasons like virus infection, file system corruption, etc.
Any corruption to the OST file makes it inaccessible and thus the data saved on the OST file cannot be synced with the Exchange server. This, in turn, leads to data loss. Converting an OST file into a PST can be a great way to not only maintain a backup but also help you recover your OST file in times of data disasters.
Remo Convert OST to PST is exclusively designed to convert the corrupt OST file to PST file saved on the computer’s hard drive or external drive like USB drive, external hard drive, etc. with ease. This tool works with powerful algorithms that extract and convert complete data from the inaccessible OST file into PST format. Accessing corrupt OST file data such as emails, contacts, calendar, folder structure, rule, attachments, notes, etc. is now possible with this Remo Convert OST to PST tool now!
How to Enable Cached Exchange Mode in Newer Outlook Versions? (Like Outlook 2019, 2016 or Office 365)
- Open Outlook, click File tab option.
- Click on Account Settings > select the Account Settings option again.
- Click the Exchange or Office 365 account, and then hit Change option.
- Now, under Offline Settings, check Use Cached Exchange Mode.
- Then, exit and restart Outlook to take advantage of the Cached Exchange Mode.
Quick Note: For Office 365 subscriber with semi-annual updates:
Tick or Check Use Cached Exchange Mode to download email to an Outlook data file option under the Offline Settings.
- Open Outlook 2010 and select the File tab.
- Select the Account Settings option > and click Account Settings again.
- Now, click the Exchange account, and then select the Change option.
- Under the Microsoft Exchange server, Check or Uncheck the Use Cached Exchange Mode checkbox.
- Now exit and then restart Outlook 2010.
- On the Tools menu, click Account Settings.
- On the E-mail tab, click the Exchange Server account, and then click Change.
- Under the Microsoft Exchange server, check the Use Cached Exchange Mode checkbox.
Did you know?
If you have installed Outlook 2003 with the brand new installation, then the Cached Exchange Mode is configured by default. However, If you have upgraded from the previous version of Outlook, you must manually configure Outlook to enable the Cached Exchange Mode. When the Cached Exchange Mode is turned on, a local copy of shared folders is downloaded to your computer.
Apart from the benefits of Cached Exchange Mode, there are few drawbacks too:
- Any unauthorized user can access the local copy of your emails saved on the computer that is being used by multiple users.
- The changes you make are not immediately reflected in the Exchange server. For example, if you add or delete an appointment on your Calendar, changes might not reflect immediately.
- Setting up the Remote Desktop Service does not allow users to use the Cached Exchange Mode function on their Outlook.
How to Disable Cached Exchange Mode?
If you want to turn off or disable the Cached Exchange Mode then, after performing the above methods to enable it, just uncheck Use Cached Exchange Mode option this will turn off the Cached Exchange Mode function.
This article has given you a complete guide on how to enable Cached Exchange Mode along with its merits and demerits. In case, if you want to disable Cached Exchange Mode, you can do it by referring to this article. No matter, how your OST file gets corrupt or inaccessible, by making use of the Remo Convert OST to PST tool you can quickly convert the OST file to a PST file in just one click to access the Outlook data file.
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.