This OST file could be corrupted because of abruptly shutting down the computer while the OST file is synchronizing with the server, virus infection, hard drive corruption, etc.
In order to resolve this issue and access emails from Microsoft Outlook, there are a few troubleshooting methods. Stick till the end of the article to understand and fix the Outlook error.
Repair OST file using Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe)
Microsoft Outlook 2007 and older versions have built-in utility known as ScanOST to repair corrupted OST file. But this tool is not available on Outlook 2010 or the above Outlook versions. If you are using a newer Outlook 2010 or later versions, you can make use of Scanpst tool to repair OST file
Scanpst is an inbuilt tool that is provided by Microsoft Outlook to quickly fix the corrupted Outlook data file. To know the Scanpst location click on the given link. Then follow the steps given below to repair the OST file.
- Open Outlook and select File>Account Settings>Data Files
- Form the list of Outlook data files, choose the corrupted file with the extension .ost
- Click on Open File Location, and note the location of the OST file
- Next, navigate to ScanPST location, double-click on the SCANPST.exe file to run the tool
- Click on Browse and choose the corrupted OST file
- Next, click on Start to fix the corrupted OST file
- Once the scanning is completed, you will either get a message stating No errors were found or Errors were found
- If the tool shows errors click on Repair to fix the OST file
Once the repair process is over, the Inbox repair tool would fix the OST file and make it usable again. You cannot rely on Scanpst all the time because it can repair Outlook data files with minor corruption. If you are unable to repair the corrupted OST file with the Inbox repair tool, try recreating the OST file, try the following steps to recreate the OST file.
Delete and Recreate the OST file
By deleting the OST file, Outlook will automatically create a new OST file and restore all the Outlook data on the new file. This method is also useful to issues when Outlook is using an old copy of OST. Here is what you can do the recreate the OST file.
- Go to C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook (Here replace user name with your account user name)
- Select the OST file and delete it
- Next, launch the Outlook application and click on Send/Receive tab
- On the top ribbon click on the Send/Receive All Folders, this will retrieve all that all the Outlook data
After recreating the OST file, the errors will be fixed making it easy for you to access Outlook mails without any problems. Moreover, recreating the OST file will only help you retrieve only the Inbox emails from the server, you will not be able to recover your custom settings, calendars, sent emails and other attributes. Therefore, to access all the data from the OST file, it is a safer option to convert the OST file to PST using a professional OST to PST file converter.
By having your corrupted OST file converted to PST, you will be able to access Outlook with all its data. Remo Convert OST to PST software is an effective tool that is ideal for this job. Using robust algorithms of the software repairs and converts OST to PST by retaining all the Outlook data such as Inbox, calendars, journals, and other attributes. Download and use the software for free now.
Convert OST file to PST file
- Download and install Remo Convert OST to PST software on your computer.
- Click on the Open OST File button, navigate to the OST file destination
- choose the appropriate Outlook profile with file extension (.ost) and click Next
- Now, click the Browse button to select the destination of your choice to save the converted OST file and then click the Convert option.
- Finally, click the Finish button.
Communicating over emails can become difficult if Outlook is not functioning properly due to errors. If you come across error messages such as “Errors have been detected in the file .ost”, the troubleshooting mentioned in the article will certainly help you solve the problem. However, if you are unable to fix the OST file using the manual methods, convert the OST file to PST using a trusted tool such as Remo Convert OST to PST.
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.