Summary: Whenever you face this scenario where errors are detected in the OST file, you will not be able to access the Outlook mailbox properly. In this article, you will find manual methods that will fix the OST file errors. However, if the errors are not fixed manually, you can make use of Remo OST to PST converter tool to easily fix the OST file errors and backup the OST file by converting it into a healthy PST file format. And thereby you can access all your Outlook data such as emails, attachments, contacts, tasks, notes, journals, etc. without any hassle.
OST is an offline file that stores synchronized copies of Outlook data on your local computer. OST file is a replica of the mailbox data stored on the Exchange server. Even when your system is offline it will allow you to access, read, and draft messages. All the changes done offline are synchronized with the Exchange server when the system is connected to the internet again. However, Iif this OST file is corrupted, it may become inaccessible or orphaned. Then Outlook will return an error message stating “Errors have been detected in the file .ost”.
Reasons Behind Outlook errors have been detected in the file OST:
OST data files may stop working or get damaged due to various reasons, such as:
- Malware or virus attacks
- Sudden power failure
- Abruptly shutting down the computer while the OST file is synchronizing with the server
- System crash
- Large (oversized) OST file
- Disk errors
- Bad sectors
- Incompatible Outlook Add-ins
- Force close ‘Not Responding’ MS Outlook
- Synchronization errors
- hard drive corruption
Some of the Symptoms That Indicate That There is a Problem With The OST File:
- Outlook takes a long time to start
- Getting stuck while sending or receiving new emails
- Issues with mailbox synchronization
- Outlook crashes or freezes quite often
These errors need to be taken care of immediately otherwise they can lead to critical situations. Some of the outcomes are Errors that have been detected in the file, OST file corruption, inaccessible data files, etc.
In order to resolve this issue and access emails from Microsoft Outlook, there are a few troubleshooting methods. Stick till the end of the article to understand and fix the OST and PST errors in outlook.
How do I Fix Outlook Errors Have Been Detected in the File OST?
In order to resolve the problem: errors have been detected in the file outlook ost and access emails from Microsoft Outlook, there are a few troubleshooting methods. Stick till the end of the article to understand and fix the OST and PST errors in outlook.
1. Replace the Corrupt OST & Restore OST from Backup
This is one of the simplest and best ways to fix the outlook errors have been detected in OST is by replacing the damaged OST with a backed-up copy of it. You can use Remo Backup and Migrate tool and set an automated Outlook backup with all settings and attributes intact.
However, if you do not have the recent backup of the OST file, then you won’t be able to get back the recent data. This solution may fix the error but with a loss of data.
2. Repair OST file using Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe)
Microsoft Outlook 2007 and older versions have a built-in utility known as ScanOST to repair corrupted OST files. But this tool is not available on Outlook 2010 or the above Outlook versions. If you are using a newer Outlook 2010 or later versions, you can make use of the ScanPST tool to repair the OST file.
ScanPST is an inbuilt tool that is provided by Microsoft Outlook to quickly fix the corrupted Outlook data file. To know the Scanpst location click on the given link. Then follow the steps given below to repair the OST file.
- Open Outlook and select File > Account Settings > Data Files
- Form the list of Outlook data files, choose the corrupted file with the extension .ost
- Click on Open File Location, and note the location of the OST file
- Next, navigate to the ScanPST location, double-click on the SCANPST.exe file to run the tool
- Click on Browse and choose the corrupted OST file
- Next, click on Start to fix the corrupted OST file
- Once the scanning is completed, you will either get a message stating No errors were found or Errors were found
- If the tool shows errors click on Repair to fix the OST file
Once the repair process is over, the Inbox repair tool would fix the OST file and make it usable again. However, you cannot rely on the ScanpstPST.exe tool all the time because it can only repair Outlook data files with minor corruption. Moreover, it works on the original corrupt data file that adds to the risk of further corruption and data loss. If you are unable to repair the corrupted OST file with the Inbox repair tool, try recreating the OST file. Follow the following steps to recreate the OST file.
3. Delete and Recreate the OST file To Fix Errors Have Been Detected in the OST File
By deleting the OST file, Outlook will automatically create a new OST file and restore all the Outlook data on the new file. This method is also useful for issues when Outlook is using an old copy of OST.
You must be thinking that is it safe to delete an Outlook OST file? So be assured that deleting the OST file will not lead to any data loss because it can again be downloaded from the exchange server. But in a normal scenario, it is recommended to take a backup of the OST file before deletion, however here you cannot do that as the OST file is having errors.
- Close Outlook and then navigate to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\LocalMicrosoft\outlook folder location
- Find the .ost file associated with your profile that is displaying the error message and then delete your .ost file.
- Or you can also move the OST file to a different location
Alternatively, you can follow the below-mentioned steps to recreate OST files:
- Open Control Panel, and select the Mail option. To change the current profile name, click on Show Profiles in the Mail Set-up box.