Summary:In this complete guide on FAT32 data recovery you will not only learn to recover data from FAt32 drive or partitions without any hassle but also find out things that are responsible for data loss from FAT32 and tips to never lose your data.
Introduction to FAT32 and Data Recovery from FAT32:
FAT32 is one of the earlier file systems that was introduced by Microsoft. FAT which stands for File Allocation Table has different types of file systems like FAT12, FAT16, FAT32.
With both of its earlier versions being out of use, FAT32 is still being used most commonly in USB flash drives, SD cards and sometimes in hard drives too.
With FAT32 file system being mostly used external storage devices, data loss is not an uncommon issue. Before moving on to recovering deleted files from the FAT32 file system let us have a look at some of the reasons behind data loss on FAT32 drives or partitions.
Reasons behind data loss on FAT32 drives
- Accidentally formatting the drive or partition is the most common reason for data loss on FAT32 or any file system
- A corrupt partition with FAT32 file system can also contribute to data loss
- An improper or failed conversion of FAT to NTFS or any other file system.
- Virus intrusion can corrupt file system and make your hard drive faulty
- Improper partitioning or repartitioning the drive using disk management
Repair FAT32 to Recover deleted files from FAT32 using CHKDSK
If you are trying to recover data from an inaccessible or corrupt drive then you can try repairing the FAT32 formatted file system using CHKDSK.
CHKDSK is a command in Windows which will look for errors in the file system.
Follow the below-mentioned methods to repair FAT32 drive using CHKDSK and recover data as well:
- Make sure the drive with the FAT32 file system is connected to your computer
- Open command prompt by typing cmd in the search bar and hit Enter.
- Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator option
- In the window, type chkdsk followed by the drive letter that is formatted with FAT32, a colon and /f
Eg: chkdsk h: /f Where h is the drive letter
After you enter the command and hit enter you Windows will take several minutes to verify your FAT32 file system. By the end of it if you see a text saying Windows has made corrections to the file system then you have successfully repaired your FAT32 file system and recovered data.
If the above-mentioned method didn’t work for you or you have a formatted FAT32 drive, then the next method is the one made for you.
Simple yet effective method to perform FAT32 Recovery
Not all are well acquainted with command prompt and are not comfortable using it. Moreover, improper usage of command prompt might lead to permanent data loss. Hence, it is better to make use of a professional partition recovery software to recover deleted or lost partition data from your FAT32 drive.
Remo Partition Recovery Software is the tool you can rely on to get back your data from FAT, exFAT, NTFS or even RAW drives. Built with an advanced scan feature the software will scavenge your drive to get back files of any format without any hassle.
With a free preview feature to let you judge the success rate of recovery, there’s no reason for you to say no to download and try our tool for free now.
How to Recover Data from FAT32 File System?
Download and install Remo Data Recovery for Hard drives and follow the below mentioned steps:
- Launch the tool, click on Recover Partitions,
- Select the FAT32 formatted drive from which you want to recover data and hit the scan button
- After completion of the scanning process you can preview the recovered files from FAT32
- If you are satisfied with the recovery, activate the tool and save the recovered FAT32 partition on to the desired location.
Important note: Never save your recovered data on to the same drive from which you are restoring data. Doing this will only overwrite the data and you will lose data permanently.
3 Tips to never lose your data from FAT32 drives
- Regular backup of data is the key to never lose your data. Switching to smart backup options like cloud backup can be a permanent solution for data loss
- Never proceed with a process partitioning or disk management without a proper guide if you are not well aware of it.
- Always protect your computer with a trusted antivirus software and just in case if you happen to lose data, make sure you make a smart choice of choosing Remo to recover your data.
Additional Information: Any data that is deleted from an external hard drive, the chances of getting back the files is very less. Here is what you can do to recover deleted files from an external hard drive.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.