What is FAT32 File System?
FAT32 is one of the earlier file systems that was introduced by Microsoft. FAT which stands for File Allocation Table has different types of file systems like FAT12, FAT16, FAT32.
With both of its earlier versions being out of use, FAT32 is still being used most commonly in USB flash drives, SD cards and sometimes in hard drives too.
With FAT32 file system being mostly used external storage devices, data loss is not an uncommon issue. Before moving on to recovering deleted files from the FAT32 file system let us have a look at some of the reasons behind data loss on FAT32 drives or partitions.
How Does Data Loss Happen in FAT32 File System?
- Accidentally formatting the drive or partition is the most common reason for data loss on FAT32 or any file system
- A corrupt partition with FAT32 file system can also contribute to data loss
- An improper or failed conversion of FAT to NTFS or any other file system.
- Virus intrusion can corrupt file system and make your hard drive faulty
- Improper partitioning or repartitioning the drive using disk management
Complete Overview of FAT32 Data Recovery
Performing FAT32 data recovery requires a powerful data recovery tool that can help you complex FAT32 partition recovery. Not all tools are capable of doing it, hence it is best recommended to make sure you use a professional partition recovery software to recover deleted or lost partition data from FAT32 drive.
Remo Recover - a powerful Partition Recovery Software is the tool you can rely on to get back your data from FAT, exFAT, NTFS or even RAW drives. Built with an advanced scan feature the software will scavenge your drive to get back files of any format without any hassle.
With a free preview feature to let you judge the success rate of recovery, there’s no reason for you to say no to download and try our tool for free now.
How to Recover Data from FAT32 File System?
- Download and install Remo Recover on your Windows PC
- Launch the tool, and select the FAT32 drive from which you want to recover data. In case, if you want to recover data from an external drive, then connect it to your system
- Now, hit the scan button. After completion of the scanning process, you can preview the recovered files from FAT32 for free
- If you are satisfied with the recovery result, select the files that you want to get back from the FAT32 partition and click on the Recover button
Repair FAT32 using Command Prompt to Recover data from Corrupt FAT32
If you are trying to recover data from an inaccessible or corrupt hard drive then you can try repairing the FAT32 formatted file system using CHKDSK.
CHKDSK is a command in Windows which will look for errors in the file system.
Follow the below-mentioned methods to repair FAT32 drive using CHKDSK and recover data as well:
- Make sure the drive with the FAT32 file system is connected to your computer
- Open command prompt by typing cmd in the search bar and hit Enter
- Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator option
- In the window, type chkdsk followed by the drive letter that is formatted with FAT32, a colon and /f
Eg: chkdsk h: /f Where h is the drive letter
After you enter the command and hit enter you Windows will take several minutes to verify your FAT32 file system. By the end of it if you see a text saying Windows has made corrections to the file system then you have successfully repaired your FAT32 file system and recovered data.
If the repairing FAT32 hard drive didn’t help you recover data or if you have a formatted FAT32 drive, then it is recommended to make use of Remo's hard drive recovery software to restore data.
3 Tips to never lose your data from FAT32 drives
- Regular backup of data is the key to never lose your data. Switching to smart backup options like cloud backup can be a permanent solution for data loss
- Never proceed with a process partitioning or disk management without a proper guide if you are not well aware of it.
- Always protect your computer with a trusted antivirus software and just in case if you happen to lose data, make sure you make a smart choice of choosing Remo to recover your data.