HFS and HFS+ are one of the major file systems used in various Apple products like Mac computers, iPods etc. Even with the latest Mac file system called APFS, HFS+ is still widely used for its lower fragmentation and ease of compatibility. Data loss in these HFS partitions can happen due to accidental formatting, bad sectors, system crash or virus infections. HFS+ partition missing from the hard drive can be very unsettling, especially when you have important data in it. After following the complete set of instructions below you will be able to recover HFS+ partition successfully, including all your precious data.
How do I Recover HFS+ Partition?
Even as the HFS partition is deleted from the hard drive, you still have a chance at recovering data. Any data that was previously existing in the lost HFS+ volume will remain intact until it has not been overwritten by new data. Hence the maximum chances of getting back data depends on how quickly you perform data recovery.
However, there are no in-built methods or tools available in Mac to retrieve this lost HFS data. The only way to recover HFS partition that is formatted or deleted is by utilizing an efficient data recovery software. Not every data recovery software is capable of recovering HFS partitions, particularly when corrupted. So the choice of recovery software for HFS+ becomes very critical.
HFS partition recovery made simple
Regardless of reasons due to which you have lost the volume, Remo Mac Data Recovery Software can be the right choice to recover deleted HFS+ partitions. Even if the computer is not able to display the lost partitions due to corruption, this tool can locate and recover the data from the drive using a technique called deep scan. Along with retrieving data from HFS+ partitions, the tool is also capable of recovering corrupt Mac hard drives that are even formatted with the latest APFS file system.
Remo Mac Data Recovery Software is a specially designed tool to recover deleted or lost HFS+ partitions. The tool can also recover missing HFS+ partition that is not detected by the computer. To accomplish this task, the tool uses an advance scan engine that scans each and every sector of the hard drive to recover lost HFS+ partitions. Additionally, this tool also works with the latest Mac operating system Catalina that uses the APFS file system. Download and try the software for free now.
Steps to recover data from HFS or HFS+ partition?
To recover data from HFS+ partition, download and install Remo Mac Data Recovery software and follow the below-mentioned steps:
- From the main screen click on Recover Volumes/ Drives and select Volumes Recovery option
- Now, choose the hard disk from which the HFS+ partition has to be recovered and click Next
- If you are not able to find the lost HFS partition, click on the second checkbox at the bottom and click on Next to continue
- Next, choose the Volume that has to be recovered
- Now, select Advance Scan and choose Mark All to select all the files to be recovered from HFS+ partition. hit the Next button to start the scanning process.
- Once the scanning process is completed, the recovered data will be shown in File Type View and Data View
- You can click on any of the recovered files and click on Preview button at the top, view the recovered file
- Finally, click on Save and browse for a location on the computer to save the files
Important Note: Do not save the recovered files on the same HFS partition from which it was retrieved. There are chances that these recovered data could be overwritten, which will further lead to data corruption.
Why Remo is best suited for recovering HFS partition.
- Remo Recover helps you recover the HFS partition that was deleted due to disk error.
- Helps recover data from HFS partition that were deleted due to drive corruption, such as bad sectors, drive failure or operating system reinstallation
- Allows you to easily identify and sort the recovered files based on the file type, name, size, date of creation, etc.
- The software helps recover data from APFS, HFS+, HFSX, FAT16, FAT32 file systems
The simple interface of Remo Recover makes the HFS partition recovery process easy.
- Supports data recovery from the formatted drive of Mac OS Catalina, High Sierra, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, and others
Tips to avoid data loss from HFS or HFS+ partition.
- If you are looking to free space from the hard drive avoid formatting to do so. Always delete the large file selectively
- Run the Disk Utility regularly to keep a check on the disk health.
- Always follow the proper shutdown procedures while turning off your computer. This way you can avoid any potential HFS partition corruption.
- Update your antivirus timely to avoid the virus from damaging your computer or even erasing your data.
Apart from the HFS+ partition, Apple has come up with a newer APFS file system. Although this provides better storage management and security in its volume, it can still be affected by data loss. One way to prevent data loss on Mac is by using Time Machine to store important data. This way, you will be ready to face any data loss situation. However, if you haven’t taken any data backup, use the Remo Mac Data Recovery software and follow the steps mentioned in the article to recover HFS+ partition.
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.