Master Boot Record often called as MBR is a special kind of boot sector stored on hard disk or other storage devices. MBR is responsible for loading the operating system on to the memory. If MBR is damaged your system will fail to boot into Windows. This article will guide you to fix MBR in Windows 10 easily.
Why your PC fails to start?
When you start your PC the first thing it does is to look for the location of the operating system. Master Boot Record (MBR) which holds the information of operating system will help your PC with this information. If your PC’s MBR is damaged or corrupted it will display either of the following errors:
- Error loading operating system
- Operating system not found
- Invalid partition table
- No bootable medium found
- Reboot and select proper boot device.
Reasons behind MBR displaying the above errors:
- Hard drive partition damaged due to Disk write error or virus attacks.
- System BIOS not supporting the hard drive.
- Corrupt hard drive can also cause this error.
- When operating system files and folders are damaged, the OS cannot access the system files to boot properly.
Simple steps to fix MBR in Windows 10:
To start with the process to fixing MBR in Windows 10 you require a Windows setup DVD to restore the Master Boot Record. Follow these simple steps to restore the MBR of the hard drive.
- Use the Windows setup DVD to boot your computer.
- Upon seeing the message saying Press any key to boot from CD or DVD, press any key.
- Click on Repair your Computer
- Click on Troubleshoot->Command Prompt
- Enter the following four commands one by one.
- Remove the Windows Setup DVD and Restart your computer.
The above solution will fix MBR in Windows 10 ensuring a hassle free usage with your PC. But sometimes MBR errors cause data loss on your hard drive or it can be your hard drive which is at fault in creating MBR errors. In this case, fixing MBR in Windows 10 cannot be the solution. You need to consider formatting your faulty hard drive to avoid further MBR corruptions.
You will need a reliable and trustworthy data recovery software to recover the lost data due to MBR errors or in the process of fixing MBR in Windows 10.
Remo Recover Windows helps you safely recover files from hard drive which refuses to boot. You can easily recover data lost due to MBR error which fixing MBR in Windows 10 couldn’t resolve.
6 quick steps to recover data lost due to MBR errors:
Watch this video tutorial to find out how to recover lost data due to MBR errors:
1. Download and Install Remo Recover Windows Pro
2. Launch the software
3. Click on Recover Drives to recover corrupted hard drive
4. Click on Partition recovery and select Disk to start recovery process
5. After completion of scanning process, a list of recovered files is displayed. Using Preview option check the recovery results
6. Save the recovered data on to preferred location.
Tips to avoid MBR corruption:
- Always have an antivirus software protecting your computer against possible virus threat.
- Keep a regular backup of your data to avoid data loss which might occur anytime
- Defragmenting hard drive to make most use of it.
- Keep the system BIOS up to date
- Always have a Power back up, power failures not only causes MBR corruption may also result in data loss.
- Opting for a Solid State Drive over traditional hard disk will avoid you from searching for solutions to fix MBR in Windows 10