The error “Invalid media or track 0 bad – disk unusable” is usually encountered when a user tries to format any storage device like hard drive, memory card, or USB flash drive. The below article will not only show you the methods on how to repair track 0 bad sector but also recover data prior to fixing the issue. Let us first understand what is a track
On a hard disk, the data is stored on a circular path called a track. The first Track of the storage device is generally called Track 0. This "Track 0" typically consists of the first 64 sectors, the first sector of a disk is sector zero. This first sector is called the Master boot record which is very essential for booting the operating system. So once the track 0 is damaged you will not be able to access the storage device.
Causes for the “invalid media or track 0 bad” Error Message
Below are the main causes why the “invalid media or track 0 bad” error message is encountered.
- Connection issues
- Bad sectors on the external hard drive, USB flash drive, or memory card
- MBR missing or corrupted
- Hardware issues
- Disk partition does not have a drive letter.
Recover Data before Fixing the External Storage Device
The user is recommended to save data from the external storage device before attempting to fix the error “invalid media or track 0 bad”. In the process of fixing the error, the user might end up losing on the data residing on the logical memory of the storage space. Hence it is sensible to recover your valuable information before proceeding to fix the error.
However, performing a repair on the corrupted drive might not be able to regain access to all your data. Hence if saving the data on the drive is your priority, you will need the help of a professional data recovery tool like Remo Recover to retrieve data from the storage device.
Remo Recover is a reliable data recovery software that can recover data effortlessly. The software can recover more than 300 file formats and any type of storage device. The tool is programmed with advanced scanning algorithms with scanning features like Deep Scan and Normal Scan to recover your valuable data from track 0 bad sector effortlessly
Steps on How to Recover Data from Track 0 Bad sector
Follow the steps explained below to recover your data:
- Download, install and launch Remo Recover software on your computer
- Connect your storage device to your computer
- In case, if your drive is not getting detected on the main screen, then click on the Can’t find the drive option
- Now, click on the Scan button. After completion of the scanning process, the tool lists the recovered data under the Lost and Found folder. You can preview the recovered data from your drive showing track 0 bad sector error and verify the success rate of the recovery
- Once you are satisfied with the result, select the files you want to save and click on the Recover button
After recovering the data, follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below to fix the Track0 bad sector.
How to Repair Track 0 Bad sector?
Solution 1: Check whether the hard drive connection is loose
If the connection of the disk is loose, then the disk will not be successfully detected. In order to fix the issue, you need to follow the below methods:
- Unplug your computer from the power supply and shut down the computer completely
- Then open the computer case to find the hard drive and motherboard connections
- Check if the hard drive cable is firmly connected to the motherboard.
If the connection gets loose and unstable, connect the cable again, and ensure the hard disk is fixed stably enough. On the other hand, if it is the hard disk itself that gets loose, then some other components might be in dislocation. Also, highly recommended to take the help of the experts if you are not profound with the removal of the hard disk or storage device.
Solution 2: Assign a drive letter to the “track 0” disk
Follow the below method to assign a drive letter to the “Track 0” disk.
- Right-click “My Computer/This PC” and select “Manage”.
- Click “Disk Management” under “Storage” in the left panel, locate the partition that doesn’t have a drive letter and choose “Change Drive Letter and Path...”.
- Click on “Add”, choose a drive letter, and click “OK” to assign it a drive letter.
After following the above procedure, you will be able to view the assigned letter through the file explorer.
Solution 3: Fix track 0 bad disk by rebuilding MBR for Windows
You need the original Windows 10 installation copy to repair the Master boot record. Follow the steps mentioned below to fix the issue.
- Boot from the original installation DVD (or the recovery USB)
- At the Welcome screen, click Repair your computer
- Choose Troubleshoot
- Choose Command Prompt
- When the Command Prompt loads, type the following command “bootrec /FixMbr bootrec /FixBoot bootrec /ScanOs bootrec /RebuildBcd”
- Press the Enter button after each command and wait for each operation to finish
- Remove the DVD disk from the tray
- Type Exit and press the Enter button
- Restart your computer and check if Windows 10 can now boot
The article summarizes how to repair the track 0 sector error with hassle-free methodologies. Highly recommended to have a backup of your valuable data in multiple storage devices, as unforeseen scenarios of data loss can be disastrous.
Also it a good idea to check the hard drive once in a while by running the benchmark tool. While doing so if you might come across a message stating current pending sectors count. Click on the link to know more.