The NTFS file system was designed to be more efficient and reliable than its predecessors. Yet, it causes some minor issues that can be sorted out easily. However, in this article, you are going to learn about a unique error known as the first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt. With proper methodology and recommended steps this error can be resolved easily. So stay on the article to know how to repair unreadable NTFS boot sector.
Recover Data before You Repair Unreadable or Corrupt NTFS Boot Sector
You can easily repair unreadable NTFS boot sector by reformatting the hard drive. However, reformatting a hard drive will erase important data saved on it. Hence, it is recommended to recover the data from unreadable NTFS partition before reformatting it. Make use of a trusted and tried partition recovery software to recover data from corrupt NTFS partition.
Be it formatted, reformatted or unreadable partitions, Remo partition recovery software is tailor-made to recover data from Unreadable NTFS partitions. The highly interactive and simple user interface makes the complex process of formatted data recovery into a simple task. Download and try Remo partition recovery software for free now.
How to Recover Data from Unreadable or Corrupt NTFS partition
Connect your unreadable or corrupt NTFS partition containing hard drive to the computer and follow the below mentioned steps.
- Download and install Remo hard drive recovery software on your computer
- For recovering a partition or drive select Recover Partitions option
- It will load available Storage Device and Drive/Partitions on the computer
- After scanning a storage device or a partition will software will list any pre-existing partitions on that respective drive
- Locate a damaged storage device or partition and click on Scan
- Recovered data can be saved through data view and file type view
- Select the required files and click on Save
- Mention the location you want to save.
How to Repair NTFS Boot Sector
When the boot sector gets damaged, the operating system cannot read it. A safe way to repair unreadable NTFS boot sector is by reformatting it. Follow the below mentioned steps to reformat an unreadable NTFS boot sector
- Connect the drive to your computer
- If the operating system is able to detect the drive, you can find the drive in the file explorer
- If a drive is undetected you can format it through the computer management
- Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management
- In the disk management tab, you can locate your drive
- Once you located the drive, reformat with NTFS file system
Remo Recover Benefits
- Remo Recover is not limited to NTFS volumes, it also supports NTFS-5, FAT-32, ExFAT, HFS, HFS+ file systems
- You can easily recover lost data from drives reinstalled with a new OS
- Remo Recover will help you recover data from different storage devices like SATA HDD, SSD, SD Cards, SD Drives, etc.
- With its preview mode, you can check the integrity of the recovered data before saving.
- If you are recovering large drives you can save the recovery session which makes your work easy
- It allows you to compress recovered data, it will help when you are running out of storage space.
Reasons for Unreadable or Corrupt NTFS First Boot Sector
Before discussing the causes of the unreadable NTFS boot sector, let's understand what it is in detail. A boot sector is created only when a drive is formatted with a file system. Regardless of a number of partitions on a drive, there will only be one boot sector per drive.
Boot sector contains information known as metadata. Metadata is responsible for maintaining a summary of all the contents on the drive. It also keeps track of any changes made.
So whenever the metadata file gets manipulated, first boot sectors will get corrupt or unreadable. Following are the list of conditions that cause an unreadable NTFS boot sector.
- Defective Sectors
- Boot Sector Virus
- Incorrect Boot Sequence
- Conversion of NTFS drive to RAW
Defective sectors or Bad sectors are a group of sectors that stop responding. The defective sector is a typical problem on most of the drives. It can be caused due to over usage of the drive, careless maintenance, dust or any physical damage.
If you are facing issues like increased in booting time of a drive, missing random files or, shrink in storage space there is a chance of defective sectors. You can repair bad sectors by using the Check Disk or chkdsk. Check Disk is a Windows utility tool programmed to repair disk related issues on NTFS and FAT drives. Running Check Disk will locate and repair bad sectors to make them reusable.
Repairing them in early stages can avoid corruption of the drive. If it is too late, you can still repair the drive but it might corrupt data on it.
Boot Sector Virus
Boot sector virus specifically infects the first boot sector of a drive. Once it infected the drive, it will spread to other drives whenever the user boots up the drive. It will start by making copies of the infected files on to uninfected regions. The infection starts by corrupting the boot sector code. It replaces the existing code with a corrupted boot sector code.
Once your computer is infected you can see performance issues on your computer. Booting up takes more time or the computer starts to slow down or even some times stops responding at all. If it not taken care of it will crash the whole boot sector. You can resolve the boot virus issue by following the mentioned instruction.
Just like any other virus, prevention is the best solution. Try to keep away from unknown sources of storage devices and keep your antivirus updated. If at all you failed to identify boot sector virus in time, it will corrupt the entire drive. The unfortunate outcome of this situation is either you cannot access the drive or you lose the precious data on it.
Overwriting of Boot Sector
As discussed earlier, boot sector holds metadata of the drive. That means whenever any changes happen on a drive, it will be recorded on to the boot sector. During this process, there is a chance of some programs might overwrite on to boot sector. Once the boot sector is overwritten it will get corrupt.
There are no instructions to undo this, you can repair the drive by reformatting it with a new file system. Remember that reformatting a drive will cause data loss. If you want to recover data from reformatted drive stick until the end of the article.
Conversion of NTFS drive to RAW
RAW partition error is caused when the OS cannot detect file system on drive. When a first boot sector becomes unreadable, OS marks the drive as RAW. The RAW error can happen to all kinds of storage devices. Once a device encountered with this error, you can no longer access the data on it. The only way to access data on RAW partition is by using data recovery software.
Boot sector is important for the smooth working of the operating system. Some times boot sector can be damaged due to logical reasons. This article speaks about situations make the first NTFS boot sector unreadable. This error commonly causes a boot error of the storage device. If the device is not repaired in time it causes data loss.
You can easily recover data from inaccessible data by using efficient data recovery software. However, if you feel there are other effective methods for repairing an unreadable first NTFS boot sector share with us in the comment section below.