S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) is like an alarm for you, which indicates hard drive failure by monitoring hard drive status and detecting failing sectors on it.
It appears on your computer screen like this-
The thing is, SMART error will not block you from accessing your hard drive. It just gives you warning that your hard drive is going to fail so take backup of your hard drive and replace you drive as soon as possible.
As soon as you see the screen above press Enter button, it continues with System Startup process.
|Remember!!!If you keep on ignoring SMART errors and not take proper action, then you may end up losing data as your hard drive will fail one day. I don’t think you will let your hard drive to fail as you know the importance of your hard drive. But if such thing happens, you don’t have to worry as Remo Recover Pro edition helps you to recover your data from failed hard drive. Even when the bootable drive fails making your system unbootable, the software lets you restore data from it.|
Now, how to reset S.M.A.R.T Error on Windows
- On your Windows desktop, click on “Computer” icon
- Select the drive and click the “Properties” option
- From the Properties window, select “Tools” tab and click on “Check Now” to open Disk Utility
- Check “Automatically Fix File System Errors” option and “Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors” option
- When you press “Start” button Disk utility checks the drive for errors and attempts to repair the errors
- After completion, reboot the computer
Get Rid of S.M. A. R. T Error from Mac OS X-
- Insert your Restore disc and start the computer holding down the "C" key
- When the screen appears, select the language
- Click on "Installer" tab and select "Open Disk Utility" from the menu
- Click the “Utilities" option followed by “Disk Utility” option
- Next press "Repair Disk" button and wait until repair process gets complete
- After completion of repair process, reboot the computer
So, with these steps you can reset or get rid of the SMART error on your computer. These errors indicate mishandling of your drives. However, you can avoid these errors just by using the drive in a proper way and monitoring it on regular basis. Remo Optimizer tool will help you in that way as it keeps track of your hard drive stats. Also, monitor / manage data on the drive and keep your hard drive far away from failure. Thus avoiding the unwanted hard drive errors and lessening the chances of failures.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.