For most devices like digital cameras, mobile phones, and music players, an SD card is the primary storage component. You insert an SD card into your computer or any other device to access files or store files on it. There are two peculiar errors about SD cards being full or empty that are quite tricky. The information below briefly explains about the following errors and how to fix them without causing any harm to data on the SD card:
- SD card showing full but its empty
- SD card showing empty but its not
Does your SD card show full, but is empty?
Is your SD card full, but shows empty? Or have you experienced your SD card showing empty suddenly? Have you lost your important personal data with it?
Well, if you have encountered any of the above-mentioned situations, in the article below you will learn the hassle-free methods to fix and recover data from your SD card showing empty or saying full, but empty.
Before moving ahead with solutions, let us first understand the common scenario for the “SD card full, but empty” or “SD card says empty” error and the aftermath of data loss due to this error in the section below.
Why does my SD card say it's empty?
It's quite natural to be confused when your SD card is showing as empty when you actually have files on your SD card. Here are a few reasons why the stored data is not recognized on your SD card.
- Memory card file system corruption - Sometimes, due to improper operation, the file system of the memory card might get corrupted and hence could show memory card empty error.
- Virus attack – Due to various viruses like Trojan, etc. The memory card may become inaccessible due to the malfunctioning of the virus.
- Bad sector – If there are any bad sectors in the memory card, it would affect the normal functionalities of the storage device.
The below section will guide you through the hassle-free methods to recover data from SD cards showing empty.
Recover files from SD card Showing full but is Empty
Data loss in SD cards due to the above-mentioned errors are unforeseen scenarios if you have a backup of all the important data, no worries. But what if you don’t? In the section below you will find effective solutions to recover data from SD card showing empty or showing full, but empty.
Before going ahead with solutions, you will understand that the lost data is not permanently lost from the logical memory of your SD card. With the help of effective methods or reliable data recovery tool, you can effortlessly retrieve data from your SD showing empty
Solution 1: Using Command prompt to fix the SD card showing “folder is empty”
If you are wondering how do I find files that are not showing on your SD card, don’t worry. First, try to fix the SD card empty error using an inbuilt Windows utility called Command prompt.
- Run Check Disk tool in File Explorer
- Firstly, open File Explorer, and then locate your SD card and make a right-click. Now, go to “Properities” > “Tools” > “Check”.
- Select one among the following options which is based on a specific situation and then click “Start”.
- Automatically fix file system errors
- Scan for SD card and attempt recovery of SD card with bad sectors.
Note – Only if the Command prompt resolves the issue, you will be able to perform recovery from your SD card. However, if it fails to fix the error, you can make use of an effective data recovery tool to recover your files from the SD card.
Solution 2: Recover files from SD card showing full but empty using Remo Recover
Remo Recover is a widely trusted data recovery tool, which can effortlessly recover data from your SD cards with severe corruption.
The software is known for flawlessly recovering data from malfunctioning memory cards as well. This application can restore all types of media files including RAW photo files from memory cards. This tool is the best answer when you are wondering how to recover data a blank SD card
The software has the ability to recover files with file names and file attributes. In addition, you can use the ‘Find’ option to locate a particular file based on its attributes
Remo Recover’s advanced scan engines can restore data from memory cards of various form factors like SD, SDXC, Mini SD, SDHC, XD, and is also capable of recovering data from MMC card
Steps to Recover files from SD card saying Empty folder
To know how to recover lost photos follow the below-mentioned step by step guide. You have to start by connecting the memory card to the system with the help of a card reader. Now download and run the software.
- If you are looking for lost photos, click on Recover Files option on the main screen Recovery after memory card says folder empty
- Select drive i.e. the memory card from which you want to recover files and click on the Scan button.
- The software scans the entire memory card and will show a list of found files Recovery after memory card says folder empty
- Select the ones you need and preview the recovered files before storing them in a secure destination
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.