I was getting a few errors while accessing my files on my Pendrive. Now I am stuck in the formatting process. Please tell me how I can fix a corrupted flash drive without formatting? How can I recover all my files?
USB flash drives are the best means for data storage in comparison with internal hard drives. This portable storage device makes the data transfer process easy and trouble-free. So, computer users often save important files like pictures, videos, documents, etc. on USB drives or use them as a bridge for data transfer need. Ultimately, USB flash drives are considered as secure storage media for sensitive data or files.
However, these USB drives stop working all of a sudden, become unreadable, or fail to get recognized if they become corrupted or their file system is damaged. If so, you cannot access the files present in the USB drive. And, typically we format a corrupted or inaccessible USB flash drive in order to make it usable. At the same time, we know that formatting action erases entire files located inside the drive.
So, if you have any important data stored on the USB drive that is not recognized, turn inaccessible, or got corrupt then, formatting is not the right solution. Then, how to fix USB Flash Drive Without Formatting? Well, here is few easy and effective resolution to fix USB flash drive without formatting.
How Can I Fix My USB Flash Drive Without Formatting?
In case, you have saved any sensitive or important data on the USB drive that is corrupted or turned inaccessible then, it is suggested to restore files from it first and proceed with the troubleshooting techniques mentioned in the Part 2 section of this article. It is important to recover all important files before trying the manual methods.
If you are sure, the corrupt USB drive has no vital files then directly start fixing it by following the methods explained in the next section.
Part 1: How to Fix Flash Drive Without Formatting Using Manual Methods?
Method 1: Try Other USB Ports
Try connecting your USB flash drive to other USB ports of your computer. And, make sure you have updated device drivers.
Method 2: Enable USB drive
- Open Control Panel and select Device Manager
- Expand Disk Drives list
- Double-click on the arrow of your USB drive and choose Enable Device
- Click Next and Finish
Method 3: Use Check Utility
As the pen drive is not physically broken and the PC is able to recognize and assigned a letter by your computer, the Check option can fix the damage.
- Connect the USB drive to your computer.
- Click on This PC/My Computer
- Right-click The USB Drive and Click on Properties.
- Click on the Tools tab, then click the Check button.
- Then your computer will automatically start a recovery process for bad sectors.
- Once it is finished, go back to the desktop, right-click the pen drive icon and click Eject, finally remove the drive from the USB port.
Method 4: Change USB Drive letter
- Go to Control Panel, select System and Security, then Tools
- Click on Computer Management
- Right-click on the USB flash drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths
- Click on Add button and then OK
- Assign a new (available) drive letter to the USB drive and complete the process
Method 5: Repair USB Drive
- Go to My Computer/This PC
- Right-click on the USB flash drive and select Properties
- Switch to the Tools tab and click the Check (or Check Now) button
- Enable Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors checkboxes
- Hit Start and wait till the repair process gets completed.
Method 6: Run CHKDSK Command
- Go to the Start menu and type cmd in the search tab
- You will see the Command Prompt application
- Right-click on it and select Run as administrator
- Next type chkdsk U: /r and hit Enter key (replace U with your USB drive letter)
Part 2: How to Recover Data from Flash Drive Without Formatting?
Connect your USB drive to another working computer and try to copy files from it. If the USB drive is not recognized or fails to show up in your computer, then go to Disk Utility (Mac) or Disk Management (Windows) and check the drive is shown up there. If the drive is listed in your system utility, then recover data from it using Remo Recover.
Software to Recover Data from USB Flash Drive
Remo Recover, a data recovery software that allows you to restore deleted, lost, hidden, inaccessible, corrupt, or formatted USB flash drive data in just a few and simple steps. Even you can use this tool to restore pictures lost or deleted from pen drive, external hard drives, or other USB devices in few steps.
So, follow these step-by-step instructions to recover data from your USB flash drive:
Step 1: Connect the USB flash drive to your computer using a USB cable. Download, install and run Remo Recover software. Click the Recover Drives button, next choose the Partition Recovery option.
Step 2: Software scans your system and shows all drives and partitions present in it. Now, choose the USB flash drive from which you want to recover data. If you wish you can also specify file types to recover from it and begin the deep scanning process.
Step 3: The data recovery tool displays all recovered files from the USB flash drive. Preview and Save your restored data from the USB drive in a safe location of your computer HDD.
Now, Windows will start repairing your corrupt USB flash drive. Wait for a while, until the process is done. After completion, you can use your USB drive without any issues
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.