However, these USB drives stop working all of a sudden, become unreadable or fail to get recognized if they become corrupted or its file system is damaged. If so, you cannot access the files present in the USB drive. And, typically we format a corrupted or inaccessible USB flash drive in order to make it usable. At the same time, we know that formatting action erases entire files located inside the drive.
So, if you have any important data stored on the USB drive that is not recognized, turn inaccessible or got corrupt then, formatting is not the right solution. Then, how to fix a USB Flash Drive Without Formatting? Well, here is few easy and effective resolution to fix USB flash drive without formatting.
How to Repair a USB Flash Drive Without Formatting?
In case, you have saved any sensitive or important data on the USB drive that is corrupted or turned inaccessible then, it is suggested to restore files from it first and proceed with the troubleshooting techniques mentioned in the Part 2 section of this article.
If you are sure, the corrupt USB drive has no vital files then directly start fixing it by following the methods explained in the Part 2 section.
Part 1: Recover Data from USB Flash Drive
Connect your USB drive to another working computer and try to copy files from it. If the USB drive is not recognized or fails to show up in your computer, then go to Disk Utility (Mac) or Disk Management (Windows) and check the drive is shown up there. If the drive is listed in your system utility, then recover data from it using Remo Recover.
Restore Data from USB Flash Drive
Remo Recover, a data recovery software that allows you to restore deleted, lost, hidden, inaccessible, corrupt or formatted USB flash drive data in just a few and simple steps. Even you can use this tool to restore pictures lost or deleted from pen drive, external hard drives or other USB devices in few steps.
So, follow these step-by-step instructions to recover data from your USB flash drive:
Step 1: Connect USB flash drive to your computer using a USB cable. Download, install and run Remo Recover software. Click the Recover Drives button, next choose the Partition Recovery option.
Step 2: Software scans your system and shows all drives and partitions present in it. Now, choose the USB flash drive from which you want to recover data. If you wish you can also specify file types to recover from it and begin the deep scanning process.
Step 3: The data recovery tool displays all recovered files from the USB flash drive. Preview and Save your restored data from the USB drive in a safe location of your computer HDD.
Part 2: Fix USB Flash Drive Without Formatting
Method 1: Try Other USB Ports
Try connecting your USB flash drive to other USB ports of your computer. And, make sure you have updated device drivers.
Method 2: Enable USB drive
- Open Control Panel and select Device Manager
- Expand Disk Drives list
- Double-click on the arrow of your USB drive and choose Enable Device
- Click Next and Finish
Method 3: Change USB Drive letter
- Go to Control Panel, select System and Security, then Tools
- Click on Computer Management
- Right-click on USB flash drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths
- Click on Add button and then OK
- Assign a new (available) drive letter to the USB drive and complete the process
Method 4: Repair USB Drive
- Go to My Computer/This PC
- Right-click on the USB flash drive and select Properties
- Switch to Tools tab and click the Check (or Check Now) button
- Enable Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors checkboxes
- Hit Start and wait till the repair process gets completed.
Method 5: Run CHKDSK Command
- Go to Start menu and type cmd in the search tab
- You will see the Command Prompt application
- Right-click on it and select Run as administrator
- Next type chkdsk U: /r and hit Enter key (replace U with your USB drive letter)
Now, Windows will start repairing your corrupt USB flash drive. Wait for a while, until the process is done. After completion, you can use your USB drive without any issues
Customer Evangelist @remosoftware. Trying to perfect the art of writing while running a business. Fan of exceptional customer service.