Before we go ahead and look at fixing Word failing to open on Mac issue, let us see why this issue occurs.
Why is Microsoft Word not Opening on Mac?
- The Word document you are trying to open is corrupt or damaged
- Third party applications not allowing Microsoft Word to start
- Installation file being corrupt
- Outdated version of Word which is not compatible with your current MacOS
Above mentioned are few well known reasons that are responsible for Word not opening or Word crashing on your Mac computer.
4 Free and Quick Ways to Fix Microsoft Word not Opening on Mac issue
Following are the 4 free and quick ways to fix Microsoft Word not Opening on Mac issue are as mentioned below, you can click any of them to start fixing the issue:
- Removing Word Preferences
- Repair Word with inbuilt Repair Tool
- Open Microsoft Word in Safe Mode
- Utilize Disk Utility to Fix this issue
Sometimes a faulty Word preferences can cause this issue where Word fails to open on Mac. To fix this issue follow the below mentioned steps:
- Go to Word tab and select Preferences
- Now unde Personal Settings go to File Locations
- Click on User Templates and select Reset
This should fix the issue, if you are still facing the issue then click on Modify.. and move the Normal.dotm file to another folder.
You can make use of the inbuilt repair tool to repair the Word file and fix the issue in no time. Do repair Word file with inbuilt Word Repair utility, then follow the below mentioned steps:
- Open Word and go to File menu click on Open
- Select the Word document that you want to open and under Open button click on the arrow and click on Repair
- This will start repair process where Word will look for any potential errors and fix if they are found.
If either of the above mentioned methods help you with Microsoft Word not Opening on Mac issue, then you need to run disk utility to repair Word.
To repair Word using Disk Utility, follow the below mentioned steps:
- Head over to Go Menu, under Utilities folder click on Disk Utility
- Select the hard drive of your Mac computer and click on First Aid
- Now click on Run which will start scanning the selected hard drive and fixes if there are any errors that might be stopping your Word application on Mac from opening.
This method should fix the error Word not opening on Mac. If you were not successful then the last resort is to run Microsoft Word on Safe Mode.
To Run Microsoft Word on Safe Mode on Mac computer, you should follow the below mentioned methods carefully:
- Restart You Mac computer, immediately press and hold the Shift key
- Release the Shift Key when you see Login Window
- Once your Mac computer is up and running in Safe Mode, open Microsoft Word
- You will be able to successfully access the Word document.
Important Note: If you have any trouble with Microsoft Word files on your Windows computer, you can make use of a Word Repair Tool by Remo. The tool specially made to fix corrupt or damaged Word documents on your Windows computer.
Final but Important Words:
There are numerous errors and problems that we run into everyday on Microsoft Word, Outlook and PowerPoint. Keeping an eye on blogs like these can help you and many people like you out there to solve a problem and be at peace.
For that to happen we need you to share this article if you found it helpful. If you have any queries related to this article, feel free to make use of the comment section below.
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.