Microsoft has rolled out its new Windows April 2019 update or simply 1903 update. With this new update, Windows promises to bring improved system security and display features. However, this update is not free from issues that lead to various complications including data loss. This article is compiled with the most common issues faced by users after updating to the latest Windows and simple solutions to fix it.
Did you know: One of the new features in Windows update October 2018 allows you to manage phone photos, send/ receive SMS and calls on your desktop by integrating your phone and Windows computer.
What are the issues with Windows April 2019 update?
It is important to know that most of the issues that you are facing after installing the latest Windows update are due to third-party applications. These third-party applications will prevent Windows update to install which causes the operating system to behave abnormally. The following are some of the reported problems.
- Lag in the operating system
- Unresponsive computers after startup
- Boot Looping
- Freezing during the update installation
In some cases, few users even reported that their PC is running slow after the Windows update.
Lag in the operating system:
Installing new Windows might slow down the operating system performance. It might have caused because of installing a new Windows update that creates a lot of temp files and cache. You can fix it with a few simple clean up methods which are mentioned below
- Delete temp files
- Clear cache
- Perform a disk clean up
Unresponsive computers after startup:
First boot after installing Windows update, operating system will load all the auto start drivers at the same time. Sometimes starting all the drivers at an instant might cause any of the drivers to malfunction.
If any of those drivers do not function properly, Windows will stop responding. For making the operating system to respond you need to boot it in safe mode. You can boot Windows in safe mode by following the steps mentioned below:
- Reboot the operating system and keep pressing F8 until advanced boot options shows up
- In the advanced boot option select the select safe mode and press enter.
Booting the operating system in safe mode will terminate all the unnecessary drivers and only makes use of default drivers. Restart the computer in normal mode to see your computer working normally.
Will the Windows April 2019 update delete your data?
It is important for you to know that Windows updates are intended to enhance your system performance. However, some issues might arise due to various reasons, for example lost user data after installing Windows update October 2018 or conflicts with third-party applications after the latest Windows update (April 2019) which might cause data loss. Let us understand the issues responsible for data loss after Windows automatic update and how to tackle them.
Boot looping is a situation where your computer keeps on restarting and enters a loop. Newly installed Windows updates can be one of the reasons for the boot looping. Follow the below-mentioned steps for fixing boot loop.
- Press F8 key continuously until you load advanced boot options.
- Startup the operating system in safe mode through advanced boot options
- Launch Control panel > Programs and Features > View installed updates
- Uninstall the recent updates and reboot the system
This repair will end boot loop and startup Windows but, you will lose all the Windows updates. Sometimes even deleting all the updates might not end boot looping. In such cases, you need to reinstall or repair the entire operating system. Doing so will cause data loss.
Freezing up while installing updates:
While installing the new Windows update, the installation process might freeze and stop. This problem is caused due to the compatibility issues between the Windows update and existing third-party applications.
You can end the frozen installation process by hard restarting the operating system. You can do this by holding the power button or canceling the whole installation. Doing either of this will lead to creation of incomplete files. These incomplete files, if not removed might crash the operating system. Follow the instructions on how to remove these files.
- Launch command prompt while in safe mode. Start > Command prompt as an administrator
- Type “net stop wuauserv” and press enter. This command will stop any running update services
- After complete execution of the previous command, type “net stop bits” and press enter, this will stop any auto-downloading of update files.
Once the process is completed, operating system should be free of bugs and the system should work properly. If at all your operating system is crashed worry not, the following section will guide you to fix the problem
What if your operating system is crashed due to Windows April 2019 update?
Once the operating system is crashed, you need to react fast to recover the data. Connect your hard drive that has crashed OS to a working computer and make use of data recovery software to easily recover lost data.
Remo Recover is an award-winning data recovery software available across all platforms of Windows and Mac operating systems. With its easy user interface, software makes recovering data easy even for a non-professional user. Download and try the software for free now.
How to Recover data using Data recovery software:
Download and install Remo Recover on your computer and follow the below-mentioned steps to recover data.
- Launch the software, click on Recover Partition select the drive from which you want to recover data and click on Scan
- After completion of the scan process, the software will list recovered data in file type view and data type view
- The software facilitates a Preview of recovered data to check the integrity of the software.
- If you are satisfied with the result you can go ahead and Save recovered data on to the desired location.
Benefits of Remo Recovery:
- Ensures quick recovery of partition.
- Tailor made to recover the data from crashed OS
- Add file type option facilitates you to select and recover specific file type that is not listed
- Save recovery session will come in handy, while you are recovering large drives.
- You can compress the saved files, this comes to use when you are running low on storage space.
Windows updates are always unpredictable. It is clear that every update comes with both advantages and disadvantages. This article is compiled with easy solutions to the most common issues that arise with Windows update leading to data loss.
It is always recommended to take a backup of the data before updating to the latest version to be prepared for possible data loss. However, if you have lost data after updating the Windows make use of a trusted data recovery software like Remo Recover.
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.