Many Outlook users reported that they can no longer start Outlook and encounter with an error when they are trying to open Outlook PST data file in Outlook 2016. Such error states – Outlook file access denied & cannot open or import the PST file. Error looks like below:
Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file
The root cause of the Outlook error: The error in Outlook “FILE ACCESS DENIED” occurs on a new PC, when opening or importing the old Outlook PST file, from the old PC to the new one, where the logged in user account, already had administrative privileges on the PC.
Solutions to fix File Access Denied Issue on Outlook
From the above-mentioned reasons, you can understand that the error in Outlook 2016, 2013 or 2010 can occur for several reasons, but not for only one reason. So, here’s a guide to help Outlook users in resolving the issue of “FILE ACCESS DENIED”.
#1. Change Outlook PST File Properties
Modifying the properties in Outlook PST file may bypass the “File Access Denied” error in Outlook. To do that:
- Right-click on the PST file, that you want to import or open, and select Properties
- Uncheck the “Read-only” box and click OK
- Try to open (or import) the PST file again. If the problem persists:
- Right click on PST file and open “Properties” again
- Select the Security tab and click Edit
- Click the Add button, type Everyone and click OK
- Then check the Full control checkbox and click OK again
- Open Outlook application and try to Import or Open the PST file
#2. Run Outlook with Administrative privileges
The very next solution is to run Outlook with Administrative privileges. In order to do this,
- First of all, right click on Outlook application and choose Run As Administrator
- Then try to open the PST file again
#3. Copy PST file to another location
- Copy the Outlook PST file to your desktop
- Make sure that the file is not “Read Only” (see the above solution to ensure that)
- Then copy the Outlook PST file to one of the following locations, according to your Outlook version: For Outlook 2013 & 2016:C:\Users\%Username%\Documents\Outlook Files\ and for Outlook 2010: C:\User\%Username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\
- Try to open (or Import) the PST file in Outlook
#4. Scan and Repair the Outlook PST File
The above said may also occur due to PST file corruption. So, try to copy again the PST file from the source location, or try to repair the PST file, by using the “Inbox Repair Tool”. To do that:
Recommended: If you have deleted any folder in Outlook and looking to recover, make use of a reliable PST file repair software.
- Close Outlook
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the following location in outlook 2016:
- Outlook 2016 (32-bit) Windows (32-bit):C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\
- Outlook 2016 (32-bit) Windows (64- bit):C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\
Note: The path will vary with the Outlook versions!
- Double click on exe to launch the Inbox Repair Tool
- Click Browse
- Select the Outlook PST file that you cannot open/import and click Open
- Press Start to start the repair(s)
- When the repair is completed, open Outlook application and then try to import (or open) the PST file again.
Quick Guide to Fix Outlook file access Denied issue
If none of the above tips help and problem is not resolved yet, then it indicates a severe PST file corruption, which can then be resolved only with the help of a professional PST file repair software – Remo Repair Outlook PST. This tool has the ability to fix PST file along with the recovery of its folders like emails, contacts, calendars, journals, notes, etc.
Repair Outlook file access Denied error with few simple steps
To Fix Outlook error, download Remo Repair Outlook (PST) tool and install it on your drive. Now, launch the tool and follow the below steps:
- Main screen with 3 options will appear- choose the one as per your need
- Now, choose either – Normal Scan or Smart Scan and click on ‘Repair’ option
- Tool begins repair process, after completion the software lists all the recovered items from the new PST
- You can preview the items, save and import the repaired file to access your data
These solutions will help you fix the error in simple steps. However, be cautious while working with PST file and make sure you use some precautionary measures.
“If you are an Outlook 2010 user and looking to recover any missing folder, download, install the Remo Repair application and follow the onscreen instructions to accomplish the task in easy steps”.
Customer Evangelist @remosoftware. Trying to perfect the art of writing while running a business. Fan of exceptional customer service.