Microsoft Outlook is a feasible E-mail management tool that is programmed to work on two types of storage files. Personal Storage Table (PST) and Offline storage table (OST). PST data is stored on the client’s hard disk. Whereas, OST stores data offline on Microsoft Servers and also allows the user to make changes offline and synchronize the changes online when connected back to the internet.
If you want to change the location of your Outlook data file due to various reasons like deficient storage space in the drive where the existing Outlook data is stored, or you may want to save it elsewhere due to personal reasons, it can be done by following the steps below.
Note - It’s not recommended to change the default location of the OST file, but if you still choose to do it check the guide mentioned in the below section
How to change the location of the Outlook data file (PST)?
To begin changing the location of your PST file, you will need to find the current location of your .pst file. Below you can find information about the storage path of Outlook data file(PST) according to the Outlook version. You can begin by navigating through by clicking on “File” at the top left corner of your Outlook application and then choose according to the version of Outlook as shown below.
Locating the .pst file
The below-mentioned steps will allow you on how to access your Personal storage table with ease
- Outlook 2007
File-> Data File Management.
- Outlook 2010 / 2013 / 2016 / 2019 / Office 365
File-> Info-> Account Settings-> Accounts Settings.
- After following the above steps, you will be able to see a tab. Click on the “Data files” tab to access your Outlook data files.
- Open your Outlook data file and click on the option saying “Open file Location”
- After this, you can change the location of your Outlook data file (.pst) to your desired location
Terminate and restart the Outlook application. Outlook will prompt by saying, it cannot find the pathway of your personal storage table and allows you browse to the new desired location. Once you select and browse, you will be changing the location of your Outlook Data File permanently.
Tip - Sharing a network of a PST file is not recommended because PST files are sensitive files that are prone to corruption easily. In order to repair a PST, you need the help of inbuilt Microsoft repair tool scanPST.exe or a reliable third party application like Remo PST repair.
How to change the location of the Outlook data file (OST)?
The OST file on your hard drive is responsible for saving all the work progress you have done when offline. Changing the location of your OST file is a bit tricky as it involves making changes in the registry especially for Outlook 2013 and later versions. However, you will be able to change the pathway of the file by following the steps mentioned below.
Locating the .ost file
- Make sure that Outlook 2016 is closed and the OST files are not opened in any other program/software.
- Go to “Run” and type “Regedit“on it
- Navigate to Outlook 16 and right-click on Outlook Name. You will get an option saying expandable strings.
- Rename the Expandable strings as “ForceOSTPath”, and then double click on it. On the” Edit String” dialog, enter your desired path under the ”Value data” box and then click OK. This will change the old/default location of the Outlook 2016 data file (.OST) to the new location.
Note: By following both the above manual methods, you will be able to change the location of the Outlook Data File. As this process involves making changes to the registry errors, it is recommended that you follow the above steps with utmost caution.
If you lose your Outlook contacts while changing the location of your PST file, you can know how to recover contacts from outlook by going through the mentioned article.
Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate
Extracting Outlook data and moving it to another location or higher Outlook version manually is quite challenging and risky. Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate tool is programmed with simple user-interface which can be utilized for migration and backing up your personal Outlook data.
Tired of trying to change the location of the Outlook data file to your desired location manually? Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate is a feasible tool for relocating your Outlook files and for backing up them up. Within a matter of a few clicks, you will be able to protect and export your personal Outlook files effortlessly.
- This backup and Migrate utility tool can not only help you transfer Outlook to new computer, but also back them up.
- The tool provides two customized backup options which are Smart backup and Advanced backup
- Smart Backup – This option allows the user to back up all the Outlook attributes like journals, Outlook settings, contacts, and attributes of Outlook profile.
- Advanced Backup – This customized option allows the user to select and back up the required files and attributes of the user's choice.
- The tool can securely migrate the data files from lower to a higher version of Outlook. It ensures to securely re-locate the Outlook files from one location to another or export to another PC effortlessly.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.