If you are one of the users who uses Outlook on a day-to-day basis. There might be few tasks that you might be doing regularly on daily basis which can be time consuming and monotonous.
In case you are sending repetitive mail to various receivers including customers, colleagues, your boss. typing them over and over hundreds of times is a-not-so-productive, kind of boring piece of work. Copying and pasting the content from existing mails, is the thing of past.
On the other hand, Reusable content offers consistency, convenience, and efficiency to users.
In-built features like quick parts in Outlook are designed to reuse existing content to boost users’ productivity and make working on Outlook a-fun-task.
In this article we will briefly discuss everything about quick parts right from why should you use quick parts in Outlook to how to create or add quick parts in various versions of Outlook including Outlook 365.
Let’s dive straight into it.
What is Quick Parts in Outlook?
Quick Parts is a feature introduced by Microsoft Outlook for Outlook 2007 and later versions. As a potential replacement for AutoText from previous versions. Quick Parts is a library of reusable pieces of content that you can quickly insert into your emails, appointments, meeting requests, contacts and other tasks.
Microsoft has termed this feature as “building blocks”.
In simple terms. Quick Parts are basically stored chunks of reusable content, content can be anything long or short, text or images, tables or graphs, shapes or signature, hyperlinks or SmartArt, maps or even formatting etc.
The only thing the users are restricted to add is file attachment.
What is so unique about Quick Parts?
- Quick Parts is a built-in feature in Microsoft Outlook. Hence, it’s reliable and safe to use unlike third party add-ins.
- Many of the third-party apps can’t handle tables and formatting within Outlook. In case you want to work with tables, graphs, graphics or formatting (such as different colors and various fonts). Quick parts come handy.
- One of the best things about Quick Parts is it’s absolutely free. unlike third party applications, you don’t need to buy or install anything. It’s simply there.
- Configuring Quick Parts is extremely easy. Some of the applications require additional configuration, before you start using it.
Since, we just talked about configuring quick parts. Follow the steps below to create quick Parts.
How to Create Quick Parts?
To create Quick Parts in Outlook and use them anywhere including emails, appointments, contacts, meeting requests, tasks etc.
Follow the steps mentioned below.
Step 1: Launch and run Outlook
Step 2: Click on new email or appointments or any other option
Step 3: write, select and copy the content you want to save as a quick part. For example, salutation, your name, address, logo of your organization, images etc.
Press Ctrl+A to select everything, then press Ctrl+C to copy the selected content.
Step 4: Click on Insert, Click on Quick Parts, Click on Save Selection to Quick Part Gallery
Step 5: Create New Building Block dialogue box will pop up on your screen,
Configure the following attributes as per your needs.
- Name (make sure its descriptive and self-explanatory).
- Gallery (select the gallery where you want the new building block to appear)
- Category (sub-folders of gallery, in case you have 10 reusable content pieces, we highly recommend you to organize each one of them in a new category)
- Description (this is optional, in case you want to add, we recommend you type something that describes the entry)
- Save in (this is where your quick parts templates get saved, if you don’t have a strong reason. We suggest you to not change that)
- Insert Options (explains how the entry is inserted)
- Insert content only: Default Option used in most cases.
- Insert in its own paragraph: inserts the content in its own paragraph.
- Insert content in its own page: inserts the content in its own page.
Once the above information is configured, Click OK to save the quick part.
3 Fun Ways to use Quick Parts in Outlook
Method 1: Insert Quick parts by finding them in gallery
Step 1: while drafting a mail. Click where you want to insert the quick part.
Step 2: Click on Insert, Click on Quick Parts.
Step 3: Few of your saved quick parts will appear on your screen. Click on the quick part you want to insert in the mail.
You can also choose to insert the saved quick part at the beginning or end of the document by a simple right click.
Note- In case, you have many quick parts. And you don’t see the quick part you want to insert. Right click on the visible entry and click on organize and delete option. A full list of building block organizer will appear on your screen.
Select and click on the quick part you want you insert.
Method 2: Press F3 hotkey to insert quick part
Probably the fastest way to insert reusable pieces of content into an email or anywhere else.
Step 1: click where you want to insert your quick part, type the Name of your building block.
Step 2: Press F3 button.
Example: - “Weekly Report” and hit F3 button.
Method 3: Hit Enter Key to Auto-complete Quick Parts
Similar to the F3 method, simply type the Name of your quick parts and hit Enter key to insert the reusable piece of content.
“Weekly Report” and hit Enter Key.
Note - Incase, if you ever face issues with Outlook. here is a guide that will help you fix those Outlook issues
Quick parts feature was built to help you do more in less time.
In this write up we have explained how can you create or add quick parts with just 5 simple steps. We have also discussed 3 extremely simple ways to use quick parts to insert reusable pieces of content, instead of plain and boring copy and paste method.
Below are some of the most commonly questions, however if you have any additional questions. Feel free to drop your queries in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions