USB drives are usually formatted as FAT32 file system. However, sometimes the USB drives can go inaccessible or make your data on it disappear by turning into RAW drive. Now the question is how to recover files from USB flash drive? Well the answer certainly cannot be in one line. However, if you stick till the end of the article you will know how to perform RAW USB drive recovery easily.
Common scenarios of USB drive turning RAW:
- Interruptions like sudden power failure or abrupt system shutdown while formatting into different file system can turn the USB drive as RAW
- Inappropriate handling of the USB drive can also corrupt file system
- USB throws an error saying used space 0 bytes, free space 0 bytes
- Errors like RAW USB drive not recognised in Windows computer
- USB throws an error saying RAW file system or unknown file system
How to check if your USB drive has turned into RAW?
Your data stored on USB drive not necessarily mean that drive has turned into RAW. Hence it is important for you to know the symptoms of a RAW USB drive. To check whether your USB drive has turned RAW follow the below steps.
- Right-click on USB drive and go to properties
- Click on General, check the memory space
If the memory space is shown as 0 bytes then your USB drive has turned RAW. Now how to recover data from RAW USB drive is the bothering question. Since the drive has turned RAW, you cannot perform RAW USB drive recovery using CHKDSK command.
CHKDSK command can only repair the corrupt partition table which is of no use, as repairing corrupt partition won’t recover data from RAW USB drive. However there are few methods that can help you fix the file system error in USB drive.
The manual method might not guarantee you to recover data from RAW USB flash drive, but is no harm in trying before you make use of a RAW partition recovery software.
Manual method to Recover data from RAW USB drive:
An inbuilt Windows utility tool can help you to fix the file system corruptions in your USB drive. This eventually restores data from RAW USB drive, follow the below mentioned steps to perform RAW USB drive recovery manually:
- Connect the USB drive to your computer
- After connecting, right-click on the USB drive and click on Properties
- Go to Tools and click on check now
- In the next Window select you will see Automatically fix file system error and Scan and attempt for recovery of bad sectors
- Select both the options and click on start
After completion of the scan process, see if the Windows utility was successful in performing RAW USB drive recovery. Don’t worry if you were not able to recover files from RAW USB drive using this method. Follow the next the section to know how to recover data from RAW USB drive in no time.
Quickest way to perform RAW USB Drive Recovery
As discussed earlier, we know the probability of recovering data from RAW USB drive using CHKDSK is very low.However making use of a Partition recovery tool will not only quicken the process but also makes the RAW USB drive recovery process safe.
Using Remo Recover is the most recommended method to recover files from RAW USB drive. Designed to recover partitions, the tool seamlessly recovers NTFS, FAT, HFS, HFS+ partitions. The easy to use software is available on both Windows and Mac Operating system, completely free to download and try.
How to Perform RAW USB Drive Recovery?
Download and Install Remo Data Recovery software on your computer. Plug in the USB drive from which you want to recover data and follow the below mentioned steps:
- Launch the software, select Recover Partitions, select the RAW USB drive and click on Scan
- After completion of the scanning process the tool lists the recovered data in two ways: File Type View and Data Type View
- You can Preview the recovered data from RAW USB drive to judge the recovery rate of software
- If you are satisfied with the results you can activate the software before you Save the recovered files.
Benefits of using Remo Recover:
- Ensures quick recovery of data from RAW partition
- Tailor made to perform RAW USB data recovery
- Designed to recover more than 300 file types
- Restores files from various storage devices like memory cards, external hard drives, pen drives, SSD etc
- Facilitates a preview of recovered data for users
- Available across all the versions of Windows and Mac Operating system
USB drive turning into RAW partition is one common scenario that leads to data loss. However this article will help you to recover lost data by providing two approaches to perform RAW USB drive recovery. Taking few safety measures like safely removing USB drives and having a data backup before making any file system conversions can help you avoid losing data from USB drives.
Do let us know your thoughts on Remo hard drive recovery software in the comments section below and also give your valuable feedback by reviewing the software.