PST file stands for Personal Storage Table, which is used to save as a local copy of the Outlook data file on a client’s hard drive.
Multiple reasons like logical hard drive failure, bad sectors on the hard disk, virus or malware issues, power failure, or sudden interruptions while working on the PST file, remote access of the PST file, faulty network device, etc. can cause corruption to your PST file.
Any kind of PST file corruption or damage makes your PST file inaccessible to open and import Outlook data including emails, contacts, notes, etc.
Are you not able to access your PST file? Is any error stopping you from accessing PST file? Worry not! Here is a complete guide on how to repair corrupt PST file using the reliable manual method and also learn to repair PST file using the Remo PST Repair tool in simple clicks.
How to Fix PST file corruption? | Easily
Here are the 2 most highly rated method to repair corrupt PST file with ease using.
|1. Scanpst.exe tool.|
Note: If you are directly looking for a PST repair tool to repair Outlook PST file then, move on to the second method to know how to repair corrupt PST file using Remo Repair PST software.
Video Showing how to repair Outlook PST file using Remo Repair PST tool
If your PST file is corrupt and inaccessible then, the first thing to do is to utilize the scanpst.exe tool. ScanPST tool is the inbox repair tool, designed to solve all the minor corruption associated with the Outlook data file (.pst) with ease. Below are the manual steps to be followed to fix PST file corruption.
- Locate the scanpst.exe tool on your Windows computer depending on your Outlook version.
Outlook 2019 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\ Outlook 2016 C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16 Outlook 2013 C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15 Outlook 2010 C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14 Outlook 2007 C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
- Open scanpst.exe tool by double-clicking on it.
- Click the Browse button and select the corrupt PST file or Outlook data file which you want to repair.
- Click the Start button to allow the scanpst.exe tool to scan and repair your corrupt PST file.
- In case the PST scanning finds errors then, hit the Repair button to start the process to fix PST file corruption.
Note: Select Make a backup of scanned file before repairing option before clicking on the Repair button. This will create a copy of the corrupt PST file.
Once the scanpst Outlook PST file repairing process completes, you can open your Microsoft Outlook profile with the repaired PST file to access missing or deleted emails, contacts, reminders, and other Outlook folders.
However, if you don’t find your missing Outlook data such as emails sent or received, Outlook contacts, attachments, etc. then, this is due to the high severity of PST file corruption.
If your PST file is severely corrupt and inaccessible then, you need not worry!
Utilize Remo Repair PST tool to easily repair PST file with any level of corruption. Remo PST Repair tool works with advanced Outlook data file repairing algorithms to safely repair damaged, corrupt, and inaccessible PST file.
Before you proceed to the subsequent method to fix Outlook PST file with the help of the Remo Repair PST tool, here is how to recover additional Outlook items that are unable to recover despite repairing the corrupt PST file from the above scanpst.exe method.
Recover Additional Outlook data using .bak file
.bak file is a backup file that is created with the same name of the corrupt .pst file under the same location or folder but with .bak extension during the process of repairing PST file with the help of scanpst.exe tool.
With the help of this backup file, you can recover Outlook items that you are unable to recover even after using the Scanpst repair tool.
Steps to Recover Additional Outlook items with the help of .bak file
Go to the corrupt PST file location or folder > locate .bak file > Make a copy of the .bak file > Rename the .bak file extension to .pst file (for example outlook.bak to Outlook.pst) > Import the .pst file in your Outlook using Import/Export wizard.
This way you can easily recover missing Outlook items that couldn’t be recovered by the inbuilt scanpst tool.
Remember in some cases, even this method might not help you recover Outlook items if the severity of PST file corruption is beyond the manual method of repairing.
The best way to repair PST file with any level of corruption is to fix it with the help of Remo Repair PST, which is an Outlook repair tool. This tool only takes 3 steps to repair PST file instantly.
Download this PST file repair tool to safely repair corrupt PST file and recover missing Outlook items including emails, attachments, contacts, folder structure, rules, etc.
Utilize these steps on any versions of Outlook including Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and other previous versions to repair corrupt PST files.
- Download and install Remo Repair PST Software.
- Launch the Outlook PST repair tool and select any one option from the main screen based on your need and then, click Next.
- Open Default PST File: Select this option if the corrupt PST file is located in the defined location.
- Select PST File Manually: Select this option if you want to manually locate your corrupt Outlook PST file and then, click Browse option to select the PST file that needs to be repaired.
- Find All Your PST Files: If you have more than one PST file in your Windows then, select this option and click Find to locate all your available PST files and then, select the corrupt PST file which needs to be repaired.
- Now, click the Smart Scan option and select a destination of your choice to save your Repaired PST file on Windows and click Next.
- After the repairing corrupt PST file is complete, check the destination location to view your repaired or healthy PST file.
Why Remo Repair PST tool the best choice to Repair Corrupt PST file?
- Remo Repair PST file is a read-only mode tool. The advanced PST file repairing algorithms of this tool ensures the safety of the original PST file.
- Remo Repair PST file tool can easily repair your corrupt or damaged Outlook data file (.pst) of any size with any level of corruption.
- You can also utilize this tool to fix password protected and encrypted PST files.
- Compatible with all the versions of Outlook including Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013 and it’s previous versions.
- Apart from repairing the Outlook PST file, the tool also recover deleted Outlook emails, contacts, attachments, calendars, notes, etc. including the folder structure and rules.
How to Avoid PST file corruption?
- Take a backup of your PST file regularly, this not only avoids unexpected PST file corruption but also avoids Outlook data loss.
- It is recommended to avoid shutting down your Windows computer while working on the Microsoft Outlook 2019, 2016, or any version.
- Do not store the PST file on a faulty network drive or on the server.
- Make sure you do not exceed the PST file size limit to avoid PST file damage or corruption.
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.