Microsoft Word as we all know is a convenient application for writing content, storing data, statistics, etc. across the globe.
Nevertheless, even the best application comes with problems. One such problem which you might come across is a scenario where your Word document is crashing while opening or saving.
In this article below you will know why this error occurs and how to fix your Microsoft Word crashing while opening or saving.
Why does Word keep crashing?
Your Microsoft Word could be crashing due to various reasons depending on the section below.
- Faulty or third-party Add-ins
- Improper Microsoft Office settings
- Virus intrusion
- Abruptly closing of Word application
These are common reasons for Word application crashing while opening or saving. However, these errors could be addressed by following methods mentioned in the section below.
The solution to fix the following issue is categorized based on the scenario of the Word crashing
Click on the link to the word crashing scenario which you have encountered to directly go through the solution in the sections below.
Follow the effective methods resolve the Word file which keeps crashing when saving
- Run Office Repair Tool
- Disable Add-ins
- Run and Open Word in Safe Mode
- How to Recover an Unsaved Document When Word Crashes?
- Remo Repair Word
Run Office Repair Tool
- Open Control Panel, click Programs and Features and click on Microsoft Office.
- On the window, click Repair and then Continue.
- You can choose Online Repair and Quick Repair. Let the repair finish and restart your computer.
Disable Add-ins to fix Word file crashing while saving
Another major factor for your Word application crashing are Add-ins, by disabling the faulty add-ins you will be able to address the issue effortlessly
- Go to the File option on the left top corner
- Click on Options > Add-ins tab.
- Click on the Go button near the drop-down box named Manage: Com-in Add.
- Go on the checkbox to disable any add-ins listed and click on the OK option
Run and Open Word in Safe Mode
Safe mode may fix the Microsoft Word crashing issue while saving effortlessly. To access your Word document in Safe mode, follow the methods mentioned in the section below.
- Hold on to the Ctrl key and Double-click the Word shortcut.
- Click Yes at the prompt to open Word in Safe Mode.
- Try to save the Word document. After this, you can stop Office Safe Mode, exit and restart your Office application.
Note - If your Word crashes while trying to save a document, then the file which you might have been working on would have remained unsaved if AutoRecover is not activated. Follow the steps mentioned below to recover unsaved word document
How to Recover an Unsaved Document When Word Crashes?
- Open Word application > click File > Options > Save.
- Copy the AutoRecover file location path.
- Go to the File Explorer, paste the location path, and find the unsaved document. Next, copy the .asd file.
- Go to your Word app, click File > Open > Recover Unsaved Documents at the bottom.
- Paste the copied .asd file into the File Name box popping up. Open the Word file recover it.
Even after trying all the above-mentioned methods if you have still not resolved the Word file crashing while saving, then the possible reason behind this would be due to Word Document corruption. In such cases, you will need a reliable Word Repair utility to address the crisis
Remo Repair Word is a well-known repair utility that can effortlessly repair your corrupted or damaged Word document. The software is capable of repairing and recovering text, formatting, OLE objects, fields including hyperlinks from corrupt DOC files. The tool can also effortlessly repair frozen Word file
The tool is compatible with MS Word, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, etc, and with any version of the Windows operating system. The user can Preview the lost/damaged word file to evaluate the repaired Word document
Note - Remo Repair Word can effortlessly repair WinWord Exe application error within a matter of few clicks
Repair Word Crashes When Saving using Remo Repair Word
Follow the steps mentioned in the section below to repair word file crashing using Remo Repair Word Tool
- Download Remo Repair Word and install the trial version of the software on your system
- Launch the software and Browse to select your corrupt .doc or .docx file
- Click on the Repair button to start the repair process
- Preview the repaired file. If you are satisfied with the results, you can then purchase the software.
Once activated, save the repaired file to any location
To fix the Word application crashing while opening a document, follow the methods mentioned in the section below.
- Disable protected view
- Repair Crashed Word
- Uninstall and Reinstall Office
- Change Word settings
Disable Protected View Word and Reopen the Document
- Open a blank Word document > Click on File
- Options > Trust Centre > Trust Centre Settings.
- Protected View > Uncheck the check-boxes next to all 3 enable programs
- Close the black Word and reopen the document in Word again.
Repair Crashed Word
- Right-click on Start > Select Programs and Features
- Right-click on the Microsoft Office product you want to repair and select Change
- Select Online Repair on How would you like to repair your Office Programs screen
- Select Repair and tick Quick Repair
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Word repair process.
Change Word settings
- Click File > Options
- Then click Trust Centre > Click on the button marked Trust Centre Settings
- Click on File Block settings > Untick the document types that you want to be able to open and click OK.
Uninstall and Reinstall Office
Note - Find your serial key and save it in a text document.
- Open Control Panel, click Program and Features, then locate and select Microsoft Word.
- Click Uninstall in the top menu.
- Once you have completed with uninstallation process
- Reinstall Microsoft Word
Additional Tip - If you are wondering how to show formatting marks in Microsoft Word, click here
The above article emphasizes on how to fix the Word crashing in the various scenarios while saving and opening. Remo Repair Word is a hassle-free tool that can effortlessly repair any corrupted Word document. If you have any queries regarding the article, feel free to make use of the comment section below
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.