With most of the professionals choosing Outlook to store their emails, contacts, appointments, notes etc. Microsoft Outlook has become an integral part of the workplace making their lives at work easier. Unfortunately, Outlook will also make your life at work tough with this “Cannot start Microsoft Outlook error”.
What will you do to when Microsoft Outlook doesn't open?
How will you fix Cannot start Microsoft Outlook error?
Worry not, this article will let you know why your Microsoft Outlook is not opening and guides you to easily fix “cannot start Microsoft Outlook error” in simple steps.
Common reasons behind Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook Error:
Usually, the reason behind cannot start Microsoft Outlook error might be because of an outdated version of Outlook or a damaged Outlook data file. Following are some of the reasons behind Outlook not opening:
- You are trying to open an outdated version of Outlook
- Navigation Pane error
- Your Outlook data file may be damaged or accidentally deleted
- Defective add-in not letting Outlook to start
- Outlook profile in need of repair
These are the possible reasons behind the “cannot start Microsoft error”. Now let us see the solution to fix Microsoft Outlook not opening problem.
Note: If you are not able to open Outlook due to Outlook repeatedly asking password issue, you should refer this.
Quick Solutions to fix Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook error:
Method 1: Reset Outlook’s Navigation Pane
Outlook’s navigation pane is the leftmost pane where you find the folders and icons to move between emails, contacts, notes, calendar etc.This pane can be customized by users according to their needs and these customization can cause some serious error that will lead to Outlook not opening error.
- Close Outlook
- Press “Win + R” button to open the Run dialog box
- Type outlook.exe /resetnavpane (note the blank space) and press OK
- Restart your computer and start Outlook.
Method 2: Check for defective add-ins in safe mode
If the first solution doesn’t fix cannot start Microsoft Outlook issue, the next solution is to check for defective add-ins that are integrated into Outlook. When you start Outlook in safe mode the add-ins are not loaded and hence it is easy to check if those add-ins are responsible for causing the Outlook not opening error.
- Close Outlook
- Press “Win + R” to open the Run dialog box
- Type Outlook /safe (note the blank space) and press OK
- In Choose profiles dialog box, select the default settings and click OK
- Now to disable add-ins, click on files -> options -> Add-ins
- Under view and manage Office add-ins, make sure that the com Add-ins are shown and select go.
- To disable all the add-ins clear all the check boxes and press OK.
- Click on file and Exit
- Restart Outlook.
If Outlook launches with no problem then it is because of any add-ins responsible for cannot start Microsoft Outlook error. You can manually enable one add-in at a time to see which add-in is causing the error.
Method 3: Create a new Outlook Profile
Your Outlook profile will have Outlook settings, there are chances of that profile getting corrupted. To verify whether your profile or not you have to create a new profile.
- Go to Control panel and select Mail
- Under Mail Setup-Outlook, click on Show profiles and Add
- Give a profile name and fill in the details (email id, password) and finish.
- Under When starting Microsoft Outlook, use this profile select Prompt for a profile to be used option and click OK.
- Restart Outlook in safe mode and in the drop-down list of choose profiles select the new profile you have created.
- Close Outlook and restart Outlook normally.
If Outlook starts normally with the new profile, then you should consider repairing your Outlook data file.
Method 4: ScanPST.exe to fix Microsoft not opening issue
The penultimate solution to fix Microsoft Outlook not opening issue is to repair your Outlook data file.The question is How to repair PST file to fix cannot start Microsoft Outlook error?
There is an inbuilt utility provided by Microsoft and its called inbox repair tool. However, there are certain disadvantages with ScanPST.exe like directly working on the corrupt PST file. Hence it is not recommended to use ScanPST.exe when you are dealing with a corrupted PST file.
How to repair PST file using ScanPST.exe?
- Close Outlook
- Go to disk drive in your computer (usually it will be C drive), you can find ScanPST location by following this path ProgramFiles\MicrosoftOffice\root\Office16.
- Double-click on Scanpst.exe
- In Microsoft Outlook Inbox repair tool window, you can either enter the name of the PST file or you can click on Browse and select PST file.If you are not aware of the location of the PST file, follow these steps to locate your PST file:
- Open Outlook and Click on File.
- Click on info and go to Account Settings.
- Click on Data files and note down the name and path of the location of the file.
- Close your Outlook.
- Now Click on Start to begin the repair process.
- After completion of the process, Open Outlook and create a new PST file.
- You can copy the recovered files from your old PST file, they will be present in the Lost and Found folder.
If none of the above mentioned methods helped you in fixing cannot start Microsoft Outlook issue. Don’t lose hope, you can make use of a trusted PST repair tool to easily fix all errors with PST file and fix cannot start Microsoft Outlook issue without any risk.
Remo PST Repair Tool is the most recommended tool to repair corrupted or damaged PST files in few clicks only. Designed to work in read only mode, the tool ensures security to the PST file by working on a copy of it and generates a healthy PST file. Download and Try the tool for free now.
Download and Install Remo PST Repair Tool on your computer and follow the below mentioned steps to fix cannot start Microsoft Outlook error:
- In the main screen with three different options will be displayed. Choose one as per your need:
- Open Default PST File: This option will select the default location of the PST file
- Select PST File Manually: Choose this option if you know the location of your PST file, you can manually enter the location here.
- Find all your PST Files: This option will scan your computer and lists all the PST files. You can choose the one you want to repair.
- In the next screen you will have two options:
- Normal Scan: Choose this option if the severity of PST corruption is less.
- Smart scan: Go for this option when you have deleted any Outlook data or if the level of corruption is high or if normal scan fails fix PST file
- Click on Repair to start the repair process.
- After completion of repair process, you can Preview the recovered Outlook items
- If you are satisfied with the results activate the software and Save the repaired.
Microsoft Outlook not opening/Cannot start Microsoft Outlook errors or any other common Outlook errors are very unlikely to be caused by a PST corruption. You can successfully solve cannot start Microsoft Outlook error using any of the above mentioned methods. As a last measure you can always implement a PST repair tool in case the other methods falter in giving you a resolution.
Do let us know if you were successful in fixing Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook error in the comments section below .
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.