Summary: Outlook data file corruption, Outlook data file cannot be accessed are the most common issues for that upset Outlook users. Irrespective of how complex this corrupt Outlook data file might appear, there are certain simple solutions that fix this issue. Yes, this article is compilation of fixes to Outlook data file corruption issue. A professional PST repair software by Remo can help you quickly resolve your issue, download and try the tool for free now.
Errors that Indicate Corrupted Outlook Data File
- Outlook data file cannot be accessed
- Outlook PST file cannot be opened
- The set of folders cannot be opened
- The Outlook data file (.pst) format cannot be used
- Microsoft Outlook exited without properly closing your Outlook data file
These are some of the common among various Outlook errors that specify that your Outlook data file is damaged or corrupted. As a matter of fact and the method involved in repairing PST file and OST file differs due to their functionality.
How Do I Fix Outlook Data File that Cannot be Opened?
You can easily fix Outlook data file that cannot be opened with the help of Microsoft’s inbox repair tool or with the help of a professional PST repair tool.
Before you head to knowing how to fix a corrupt or damaged Outlook data file you have to know that there are two kinds of Outlook data file, .pst and .ost. The method involved in repairing a PST file is quite different from how you go about fixing a OST file. Follow the guide mentioned below one after the other to easily repair Outlook data files.
How to Repair Outlook Data File [PST] Using ScanPST?
To repair Outlook data file PST, you can make use of the Microsoft inbox repair tool which is already present in your computer. Before you move on using ScanPST, you have to know the location of ScanPST which can be easily found using the below mentioned table.
||C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\
||C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
||C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
||C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
||C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
After locating ScanPST.exe follow the below-mentioned steps carefully to repair Outlook data file.
- Open Outlook and select File > Account Settings > Data Files
- From the list of Outlook data files, choose the corrupted file with the extension .pst
- Click on Open File Location, and note the location of the PST file
- Next, navigate to ScanPST location, double-click on the exe file to run the tool
- Click on Browse and choose the corrupt PST file
- Next, click on Start to begin the repair process
- Once the scanning is completed, you will either get a message stating No errors were found or Errors were found
- If the tool shows any errors on Outlook data file click on Repair to fix the file
Although ScanPST can help you repair corrupt PST files, you cannot rely on this tool completely. This is because ScanPST can only help you repair the Outlook data file with minor corruptions. If the PST file is severely corrupted, it is best not to use the Microsoft inbox repair tool.
However, the best way to repair the Outlook data file or PST file is to make use of a professional PST File Repair Software. When choosing an appropriate PST repair tool, it is important to consider safety, integrity and efficiency of the software.
Remo PST Repair Software is the most sought tool across Microsoft Outlook Community very well known for its safe and quick Outlook data file repair process.
As the tool is designed to create a copy of a corrupt or damaged Outlook data file prior repairing it, you can be always be sure about the safety and integrity of your Outlook data existing in your original file.
Download the tool for free now and start repairing corrupt Outlook data files. Your precious Outlook emails, contacts are just a click way.
How to repair Outlook data file [PST] Using Remo PST Repair Software?
(This method is applicable to repairing PST files only. To know about repairing OST files please move on to the next section.)
Download and Install Remo Repair PST in your computer and follow the below mentioned steps to repair Outlook data file:
1) Launch the software and choose one from the following options:
- Open Default PST File: This option will let the tool select the default PST file.
- Select PST File Manually: With this option you can manually select the PST file by browsing.
- Find all your PST Files: This option will list you all available PST files. You can choose the Outlook data file to be repaired.
- Select any of the above option and move on to the next screen.
2) In the next screen you will have two options:
- Normal Scan: This option is when the level of corruption in PST file is low.
- Smart Scan: You can make use of this option when there is a severe corruption with PST file. Always use Smart Scan if Normal Scan fails to repair Outlook data file.
3) Select the level of scanning based on your requirement and provide the destination folder to save the file.
- Click on repair to start the repairing Outlook data file. After completion, the software facilitates the preview of recovered Outlook data in the Outlook styled browser.
- If you are satisfied with the Outlook data recovery and repair process you go ahead and save the files.
- After repairing PST file, a healthy PST file will be saved in the selected destination folder. To access the contents of the repaired Outlook data file you need to import it into your Outlook application. The instructions on how to import an Outlook data file are mentioned in the next section.
How to Import an Outlook Data File?
To know how to import a Outlook data file, follow the below mentioned steps:
- Launch the Outlook application, go to File and click on Open and export
- Select Import/Export and click on Import from another program or a File and click on Next
- Now select Outlook data file (.pst), click on Browse to select the repaired Outlook data file.
- Finally, select Replace duplicates with items imported and select import items into the current folder and hit the finish
Follow the mentioned path or process carefully to finish importing PST file into Outlook application. In case, if your Outlook keeps prompting for password repeatedly when you try to open Outlook, you should refer this link.
How to repair Offline Outlook data file or OST?
An OST file will help the user to work offline and later synchronize with the online server. However at times, due to various reasons your Outlook data file might get damaged or corrupted. Leaving you with no choice than seeking help for fixing the OST file.
There are two ways to repair your Outlook data file OST:
- Repair Outlook Data File by converting OST to PST
- Fix Outlook Data File by deleting and recreating the OST
If you have all your Outlook data saved on the server side, you can just delete and recreate your Outlook data file.
However, if you have important data on your offline Outlook data file and are not sure about its existence in the exchange server, go for converting OST to PST to get back your contacts, notes, emails and other Outlook data items.
Converting the OST file, can not only fix the corruption but also creates a healthier PST file that you can access from Outlook and also allows you to transfer Outlook to new computer.
We recommend you to make use of Remo OST to PST converter to help you fix your damaged Outlook data file and get it in the form of PST.
The tool precisely extracts every information from the damaged Outlook data file and creates a healthy PST file with all your data in place. Download the software for free now.
Fix Outlook Data File by deleting and recreating OST file:
Unlike PST files, you can delete and recreate the OST file and connect it to the server to get back your emails synced to your mailbox. This is the biggest advantage of OST file users. In order to recreate the OST file log out from your profile and delete the existing OST file and follow the below mentioned steps to delete and recreate a OST file:
- Microsoft Outlook, and click on File Tab
- Now, click on Account Settings and select Data File
- From the list, locate the corrupted Outlook data file with the extension (.ost)
- Choose the OST file and click on file location at the top
- Now, select the OST file and delete it
- Next, launch the Outlook application, once Send/Receive is initiated you will be able to retrieve all the outlook data.
Recreating the OST file will definitely help you repair and access the Outlook data by syncing your Outlook account with the server.
It is always rewarding to know more about the Microsoft email service that you use every day. This article is compiled with all the necessary information that you need at the time of crisis like Outlook data file corruption.
The dedicated solutions mentioned in the above section will help you repair both OST and PST. Do let us know if you were successful in fixing your Outlook data file with the help of our article. Don’t forget to share the article if you found it helpful.