If you have a corrupt USB drive with your precious data in it, it can be easily repaired using CMD and then you can recover files from corrupt USB with the help of Remo USB drive recovery software in no time. The tool can help you recover files from corrupt USB drive, flash drives, pen drives and even hard drives. Download and recover files from corrupted USB now.
USB Flash drives are storage devices that are commonly known as Flash drives or Pen drives. They are well known for their portability and capability of storing large amounts of data. Because of its portable property, it is easy to transfer data from one device to another. Having said that, due this same property USB drives are vulnerable to corruption.
As soon as the pen drive is corrupted, files become inaccessible on the pen drive leaving you with no clue about how to recover files from corrupted USB.
How Does USB Flash Drive Get Corrupted?
There are various reasons behind a USB flash drive getting corrupt or damaged or even inaccessible. Some of the most common reasons are as mentioned below:
- Abruptly ejecting pen drive from your laptop or PC without using “Safely remove option”
- Sudden system shutdown or any interruptions while transferring data from flash drive to another storage device or vice versa
- Malware or corrupted files present on the pen drive makes the data inaccessible
- Firmware issues on a pen drive or operating system malfunctions might also lead to data corruption or data loss
Can You Fix A Corrupted USB And Recover Data?
Yes, you can uncorrupt USB drives and recover the data easily. Windows computers have a lot of free methods that can help you to fix the USB without losing data. Read the next section to know how you can fix a corrupt flash drive without losing data.
Note: Before trying any of the below-mentioned methods, make sure your device drivers are up to date. Try connecting the flash drive to different ports or computers to confirm the corruption in the USB drive.
How to Recovering files from corrupt USB Flash Drive?
Fixing file system errors on USB Drive
The file system on USB drive helps in organizing data and maintain a directory that will be referred for any data transaction. Any errors in the file systems also lead to corrupted flash drives and resulting in data loss. Here’s how to fix file systems errors in pen drives on Windows 10 or Window 11.
- Go to This PC and right-click on the inaccessible pen drive and select Properties
- Click on the Tools tab and select Check option
- Check both the Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors boxes
- Click on Start and the scanning process will start. Wait till the process is complete and click on Close
Note: If your system is running on any previous version of Windows like Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, etc. Follow these steps to fix your file system errors of the USB drive.
- Go to My Computer and right-click on the inaccessible pen drive and select Properties
- Click on the Tools tab and select Rebuild
- Once the scanning process is started, wait for the scan to complete and click on Close
- Eject your pen drive using Safely Remove Option and then plug it in again.
If you are being prompted to format your corrupt USB, do not format. Instead, know how to fix a corrupted flash drive without formatting with free methods given in the highlighted informative write-up.
Restore files from corrupted USB by using Command Prompt:
Command Prompt could be a quick yet effective resolution to recover corrupted USB. Follow these steps carefully to fix errors and recover files from the corrupt USB drive.
- Insert your pen drive to the computer and press the Windows button on the keyboard
- In the Type here to search box, type cmd and click on the Command Prompt app
- In the Command window, type or copy-paste chkdsk G: /f. Replace G: with your USB drive letter,
- Once the process is complete, eject your pen drive using Safely Remove Option and plug it in again.
Note: The ability to recover data from a corrupt flash drive by using chkdsk is very less. Chances of damaging the files are also high if you do not know what you are doing. Switch to Remo Recover to recover corrupted flash drive's data with this self-explanatory tool.
Access the flash drive by enabling the USB drive in Device Manager:
Sometimes, Flash drives can get disabled automatically due to driver installation errors too. Follow the steps mentioned below to access the flash drive and get back the data present within.
- Open Control Panel, go to Hardware and Sound and click on Device manager
- Expand the Disk Drives list
- Double click on your USB drive and click on Enable device
- Click Next and finish
Recover Files from Corrupt USB Flash Drive using USB Recovery Software
Yes, you can recover files from your corrupted flash drive effectively with the help of a professional corrupted USB recovery software. Speaking about a professional USB recovery software, which is the best USB recovery tool to recover corrupted flash drive?
Built with a powerful recovery algorithm that can recognize and recover files from corrupted pen drive, Remo Recover is the safest corrupted USB recovery tool. The tool stands out of the crowd for its self-explanatory interface which guides you throughout the recovery process even if you are not that tech-savvy or good with gadgets.
So, what are you waiting for? Quickly download Remo Recover now to recover files from your corrupted USB effectively.
How to Recover Files from Corrupt USB Drive?
- Download, install and launch Remo USB data recovery tool
- Select Recover Partitions and click on your corrupted USB drive
- Click on Scan and the process to recover data from corrupted flash drive starts
- If you just want to recover specific important data files from your corrupted pen drive, then click on Deep Scan
- Once the scan is complete, you can Preview your recovered files from corrupted USB to see the quality
The time duration for the scanning process depends on the amount of data present on your pen drive.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.