Adobe Photoshop can return multiple errors while using the application. The errors could be due to a problem with the application or with the PSD file. Some common error messages such as “Photoshop scratch disk error”, “Could not complete your request because of a program error” or any other Photoshop error can have multiple causes. By the end of this article, you will get to know about the common error messages on Adobe Photoshop and the troubleshooting steps to fix Photoshop error messages.
Steps to fix common error messages on Photoshop
Some of the common errors and fixes are listed below. Follow the troubleshooting steps to solve Photoshop errors.
How to fix "Photoshop could not complete your request because of a program error"
Error message: “Could not complete your request because of a program error”
Causes: The reason for this error could be due to Photoshop preference, image file extension or generator plugin. The methods to fix this error are mentioned below
1. Change the image file extension
Photoshop will not be able to read if the file is not saved with the proper extension. Changing file extension is one easy method to fix this problem. By doing so, it easier for the application to identify and open the image file. Navigate to the location where the file has been saved and rename the file with a proper extension such as .psd .jpeg or .png. Be sure not to make any mistakes or retype the extension eg-,jpegjpg, .jgp, etc.
2. Disable Generator
- Open Photoshop application
- Click on the Edit drop-down menu, select the Preferences
- Select the Plug–ins tab, uncheck the ‘Enable Generator’ checkbox and click on OK
- Finally, restart the photoshop application and check to see if the issue is fixed.
3. Reset Photoshop Preferences
- Press and hold the Windows + R key.
- Type in %AppData% and hit Enter. This will take you to the AppData directory.
- There, navigate to Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CSx/Adobe Photoshop Settings/ directory.
- Once you are there, move both the Adobe Photoshop CS6 Prefs.psp and Adobe Photoshop CS6 X64 Prefs.psp files to your Desktop.
- Now, restart the computer and open Photoshop. This would ensure that Photoshop preferences are reset.
How to fix “Error 1” in Adobe Photoshop
Error message: Please uninstall and reinstall the product “Error 1”
Causes: Due to file corruption, incomplete installation, or malware infection you might have come across this error.
1. Uninstall and Reinstall the Application
Due to incomplete installation, the Photoshop application might not be working properly. One way to fix this issue is by uninstalling the application and reinstalling it. This will ensure that the application is completely installed with all the necessary system files.
2. Fix Corrupted PSD file
In case the particular photoshop file is corrupted, it will be difficult for you to open the PSD file on Photoshop. By fixing the corrupted or broken PSD file you will be able to open the application. However, the only way to fix the broken file is by utilizing a trusted PSD repair tool.
One of the most probable causes of errors in Photoshop is PSD corruption. A corrupted PSD file would mean a lot of wasted effort. With a trusted PSD repair tool like Remo Repair PSD by your side, you can have the advantage of repairing the PSD file created on any version of PS. The powerful repair algorithm and read-only mechanism not only ensures repair precision but also security of your original PSD file.
Not enough memory (RAM) on Photoshop
Error message: “Could not complete the command because there is not enough memory”
Causes- The amount of memory photoshop uses depends on how big the PSD file is. In case you are working on any file that has a bigger size and the application does not have enough memory allocated to open a particular file, you will come across the above Photoshop error.
1. Increase allowed RAM usage
If the Photoshop application does not have sufficient (RAM) available, it will not be able to open the particular file. Depending on the file size, Photoshop requires more memory in order to process the image and to display it. Follow the steps below to increase the RAM usage for in Photoshop.
- Open Photoshop and navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance
- Using the slider, set the value to 100% of RAM by.
- Confirm changes.
- If you are unable to assign 100% to Memory Usage, set it to 96% and try again.
Not a valid Photoshop Document error
Reason: “Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document”
Cause: This particular error might be because of, hard drive corruption, corruption with the JPEG file, or corruption in the file due to improper editing.
1. Rename the file with a proper file extension
While saving a PSD file you might have not saved the file with the proper extension. The file extension that you use should match with the file type, else Photoshop will not be able to open or access the file. The file extensions are hidden by default, in order to unhide the extensions follow the steps below.
- Open Start, and type Show hidden files and folders in the search box
- Click on the View tab under the folder option.
- Uncheck Hide Extensions for Known File Types.
- Click Apply, then click OK.
Now that you have unhidden the file extension, open the photoshop application and resave the file with proper file extensions such as .jpeg or .jpg.
Additional Information: Apart from fixing the invalid JPEG maker error, the above-mentioned method will also help you solve Photoshop error 6. Click on the link to know more about the error and its solution.
2. Repair the corrupted image file.
Due to corruption in the hard drive, malware attack or any other reason, the file might have got corrupted. Hence, you might be getting the error. Fixing the corrupted file using a professional PSD file repair software to regain access to the file.
Regardless of how cautious you are, there can be situations where you come across at least one of the errors discussed above. If there is a problem with the application, then troubleshooting steps will help you solve the Photoshop error. Despite performing the steps if you still find the error messages, it could be because of file corruption. In such, a trusted PSD repair tool to like Remo Repair PSD will help you repair the corrupted file.